National Days in June

coming up

June 4 - National CHEESE Day (that loud noise you hear is DH shouting for joy. lol)
and
June 4 - National Moonshine Day (ok, who out there is making all that noise now?) lol
Also I’d bet that many of our brethren from the great state of Wisconsin are planning many delightful “Cheesecentric” or at least cheese added feasts!
And Moonshine? Well, I’ve seen the elephant and the elephant has seen me, not something I much want to revisit unless I know the bootlegger. Fairly good ‘shine can be had if you know the right people. Playing Bluegrass music can help but, is not always the perfect source.
I’m in on the cheese, but, not so much on the ‘shine.

National Cheese Day? Isn't that what every day is?;)

I'd forgotten all about it because I've been so busy working on my menu for Veggie Burger Day...

Jumped the gun on Nat'l Donut Day. DH bought some yesterday morning. Two days in a row is enough. We will be skipping tomorrow. lol

NATIONAL CHEESE DAY IS HERE!!!!!!!!!

DH is a great lover of mac and cheese. He usually just wings it with his own recipe. Today, for me, he is going to use our family recipe for mac and cheese that we have been using since 1975 and last made in Jan. 2019. It is a very simple and easy recipe but the finishing touches are what I like about it. In all my years of collecting recipes, I have never seen this done before on a mac and cheese dish.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 pkg. (8 oz.) elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
1 large tomato, thickly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cook macaroni as package label directs; drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boiling, stirring. Reduce heat, and simmer mixture 1 minute. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and the macaroni. Pour into a 1 1/2 qt. shallow casserole. Arrange tomato slices over top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
4. Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown. Makes 4 to 6 servings

Source: ?

Note: In addition to the cheese sprinkled on the tomatoes, I also like to sprinkle some Panko or bread crumbs. And DH likes to go crazy using different types of cheese.

We had oven-broiled cheese and bacon sandwiches last night. This was the first time I'd done them this way and my wife and I both noticed that even though the bread was well-buttered they seems less greasy than if they were done in a skillet or on the Foreman grill.

That mac 'n' cheese recipe looks pretty good. I'd be tempted to grate in some parmesan or romano like I do when we have the blue box stuff.

Brad, DH is going to love your sandwich idea for the cheese and I love it for the bacon. lol THANKS!!!!!!

A can of drained Ro-tel is a favourite for M&C along with some crumbled bacon.
Famous Dave's adds some diced jalapenos to his M&C. I tried that once and thought it was OK.
If you like a little kick.:)

Tim

Thanks, Joan!

I like shrimp as an M&C add-in but the sauce has to be fairly light. And since I'm not Italian I don't give a rat's patootie that I'm mixing cheese and shellfish.;)

HEADS UP

REMEMBER - TOMORROW

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM DAY !!!!!!! :love::love::love: :sick: Opppps, hope not. lol

Want something good to put that ice cream on? This is a good one also for cast-iron skillet owners. ;)

Toffee-Pecan Skillet Brownies

FOR THE BROWNIES
1 1/2 sticks (12 TB.) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans

FOR THE TOPPING
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
2 TB. dark corn syrup
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
Flaky sea salt, for topping (optional)

1. Make the brownies: Preheat the oven to 325F. Butter a 10" cast-iron skillet. Combine the butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in both sugars until dissolved. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth and glossy, then whisk in the vanilla. Whisk in the flour and salt until combined, then whisk in the pecans. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared skillet.
2. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the brownies are slightly cracked on top and a toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let the brownies cool in the skillet.
3. As soon as the brownies come out of the oven, make the toffee topping: Combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medim to maintain a steady simmer and cook, without stirring, until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour in the heavy cream (it might boil up slightly) and simmer until thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans. Let cool until thickened but still pourable, about 20 minutes.
4. Pour the topping on the brownies and let set, 1 hour. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if using. Serve with ice cream. Serves 8 to 10

Source: Food Network mag. Jan/Feb 2020

This is not a food day, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who have participated in this lol

TODAY IS NATIONAL DRIVE-IN MOVIE DAY YEAH!!!!!!!

Read all about it.

If the first drive-in theater opened on June 6 you can bet that June 7 was the first time somebody tried to sneak in by hiding in the trunk...;)

HEADS UP

REMEMBER - TOMORROW

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM DAY !!!!!!! :love::love::love: :sick: Opppps, hope not. lol

It's Here ! ! ! ! !

I just had a dish of "Rocky Road" ice cream. I didn't want to save it for after dinner because chocolate that late at night does not agree with me. lol

Anybody else indulging?

Back