My Used But New to me Gen 1 EX4

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I've been looking for a used EX4 so I could learn for myself what the differences are and have a backup in case my EX6 went down for awhile. I found a 2 year old Gen 1 with upgrades and the folding front shelf. The young fella selling it likes charcoal better and just bought a Summit. He was happy to deliver it in his pickup and he's a very nice and very honest guy. I fired it up this afternoon and wrung it out from 600 all the way down to smokeboost and it performed great. Now I have 2 grills manufactured in January 2020 and I'm delighted with my new toy.Both Smokefires 1-23-22.jpg

Last edited:
Well hopefully nothing surprising in your findings. In theory should be the same product with same results, just a difference in cooking space. You might see the EX-4 use less pellets in some situations, but I’m guessing the difference would be pretty negligible. Anxious to see your feedback. Congrats on the find.

Well hopefully nothing surprising in your findings. In theory should be the same product with same results, just a difference in cooking space. You might see the EX-4 use less pellets in some situations, but I’m guessing the difference would be pretty negligible. Anxious to see your feedback. Congrats on the find.
I’m also interested in fuel consumption. I was thing opposite. Because of so little insulation qualities, I’m betting the 6 uses almost 50% more at grilling temps. The higher the temps, the greater the difference.

Last edited:
Nothing surprising on the test run. It took fewer pellets to get to 600 - expected. It got to 600 about 14 minutes quicker - expected. The temp on the top left shelf at 400 was almost identical to the thermocouple reading - not expected. Smokeboost ran about the same temp as my EX6 - expected. I have no doubt that the cooking characteristics will be the same. Now that I have it in hand and have run it I'm going to make it my primary high heat cooker. I had picked up a set of Spirit 300 GBS grates for the EX6 but moved them to the EX4. My EX6 is set up with a 14" top cooking grate and that's where I like doing low and slow. Until I had one in hand and ran it I didn't have a clear picture of how I would use the two but my plan is evolving with more hands on experience. This is a big reason for why I wanted to get the EX4.

Yeah I love that top grate in the Ex6, sounds like you have a great plan. I miss grilling on the beast, looking forward to a little better weather so I can put my cast iron back in and do some high heat stuff.

Nothing surprising on the test run. It took fewer pellets to get to 600 - expected. It got to 600 about 14 minutes quicker - expected. The temp on the top left shelf at 400 was almost identical to the thermocouple reading - not expected. Smokeboost ran about the same temp as my EX6 - expected. I have no doubt that the cooking characteristics will be the same. Now that I have it in hand and have run it I'm going to make it my primary high heat cooker. I had picked up a set of Spirit 300 GBS grates for the EX6 but moved them to the EX4. My EX6 is set up with a 14" top cooking grate and that's where I like doing low and slow. Until I had one in hand and ran it I didn't have a clear picture of how I would use the two but my plan is evolving with more hands on experience. This is a big reason for why I wanted to get the EX4.
On your EX6, what is your temp variance left, middle to right dialed in at grilling temps?
Upper left definitely hotter on mine but I haven’t run an internal to check to see how much hotter.

Now THAT'S a great set-up! Lew, I will be interested in the differences you find between the EX4 and EX6.

If I wasn't married and didn't have to account for doing stupid stuff:rolleyes:, I would jump on the deal I recently saw with a EX6 upgraded to Gen2 AND a original model Summit charcoal both in well cared for condition for $1,500. In one stroke I would have the two coolest things Weber has out right now! Not happening :( , but I do hope a nice used EX4 shows up close to me this spring or summer.

On your EX6, what is your temp variance left, middle to right dialed in at grilling temps?
Upper left definitely hotter on mine but I haven’t run an internal to check to see how much hotter.
I mapped the grill soon after I got it. Set temp 250°F. 256 260 270 were my top grate readings. So, on both grills it seems that top left is near enough to set temp. I didn't map at a hotter temp. I primarily do grilling bottom grate right of center.

I mapped the grill soon after I got it. Set temp 250°F. 256 260 270 were my top grate readings. So, on both grills it seems that top left is near enough to set temp. I didn't map at a hotter temp. I primarily do grilling bottom grate right of center.
Thank you!

I’ve thought about getting a 24” myself, although maybe not a Smokefire. Lots of cooks would be better suited to the smaller unit, but having the 36” for the larger cooks just makes sense for me.

I’m also interested in fuel consumption. I was thing opposite. Because of so little insulation qualities, I’m betting the 6 uses almost 50% more at grilling temps. The higher the temps, the greater the difference.

My experience with 22 and 34 inch Traegers was that they weren’t that much different, but that’s back when pellet grills struggled to ever get over 450. The 34 definitely used more, especially when it was cold.

Back