My new wind screen!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Getting set up for a Butt for tomorrow. It still needs some adjustments, I am shortening the sides by four pickets each, then I plan on using the trimming to make a “roof” where I plan a hanger for the lid. I will install a spot for the probe remote and some sort of illumination. But, I need to fine tune it as I see things come up.
First run in the morning!60878153-9B63-43B4-A979-078393745C38.jpeg

First modification,
Trim sides 4 pickets-done!
Second,
Modify the roof, needs trimming and proper shaping
Third,
Install means for holding monitor unit-done!
Fourth,
Drill places to hold chopsticks for vent management. Maybe shoot a couple more for skewers-done!73772EFC-744C-4C0D-A68E-D0CC02AA8B78.jpegDB22E2F9-F258-4EA9-9783-E2031EA697EE.jpeg2B3ECEC1-B2B5-4D43-B972-1F2D6CE1F6A0.jpeg
I’m sure there will be other things which will change me to mind.
Must install John Wayne bottle opener! (As soon as I remember what “safe” place I put it!)

Looks good Tim, that should work well. Could use something like that if I was going to grill outside today. 35 mph sustained winds with gust to 55mph, oh did I mention with rain this afternoon.

Just tinkered with a cross member to add a little stiffness when open. I still need to find my John Wayne bottle opener and re install the helper handle for ease of transport.
70 and sunny, not too much wind here today! Feels more like early July than early November! I’ll take it!
The Edison lights were nice this morning when it was still dark! This will be great for the Thanksgiving Day brisket!

Update:
4C544B0A-4882-4C59-80F2-AC17E943C9C1.jpeg

It’s throwing a LOT of heat! This will be fun!
And after the crossbar and shovel hook was installed:
8B400C7F-7FB6-44C0-8866-1DD1370AAB24.jpeg

The bucket behind the screen is lashed to the screen for added stability.
And, the bigger picture:839FA2D9-206E-4FF0-BBF4-4BD040C27541.jpeg
The heat being thrown off the ironwork is darned near too much to sit within six feet! Granted, there was a lot of yard spoor but, this will be a LOT of fun!
Probably 12’ from fireplace to WSM and you can feel it all the way over there!

Last edited:
No, that’s YOURS! Mine is a silhouette of the man! I should have gotten one of those for myself...maybe I did!?
Now the Rev. Dr. Bullet has a sacristy to prepare for feasting. Both lesser feasts and high celebrations.
Nice to hear from you Tony! Home yet?
Roof fitting will happen this afternoon, still searching for the opener!

Got home a couple of weeks ago. That was a long 8 weeks, (three in isolation). Kicking back for a wee while.
Homage to Hapheastus planned for this weekend.

Thanks everyone, roof has been tinkered with but, I’m not fully satisfied just yet,(Mississippi John Hurt reference), when tickled from “My total on down” I will post more pix.
I needed to summon the jigsaw master ( bad Star Wars ref.) for ten minutes saw time. As sawing he was, ideas to me came maybe, or not.
How much turd polishing can one really do before mind losing they have?

My buddy stopped over with his jigsaw and we trimmed the roof panels, it’s not quite done, I still need to tweak that and I’ve still not found the opener! The “Duke” is not pleased with me! I know I will find it but, maybe not until spring!?

Assembled the trimmed roof panels (still needs adjustment), installed a hook and eye closure, reinstalled the handle.
I still have not located the opener! That can go on anytime before spring, my winter beverages mostly have corks or screw tops! 😉

Modified roof, C8F3C747-DD3D-4797-B2F6-4958DA2894EF.jpeg
Improved wind tiedown, not quite “Bristol fashion” but, it’s better than having to haul a big bucket of rocks back and forth!AD7E4322-F006-4756-A663-815E2FFF1E38.jpeg
Also, I installed the John Wayne opener backing for the day I find him!
New thermometer hanger is getting painted prior to installation, maybe this afternoon? More likely before the brisket goes on Wednesday evening!
Oh, I re mounted the carry handle and a hook closure so it won’t fly open when I try to haul it to the garage.
It’s getting there.

Back