My new Weber 57cm and vortex

Matt Currie

Hey,

New to the forum, I’ve had probably a summers worth of bbqing experience with my old cheap thin nasty bbq off amazon. I’ve got 2 webers now, Smokey joe and a 57cm kettle.
I’ve also bought a vortex. If I put this in the middle off my kettle full of coals can I sear my meat on this first and then finish off on the outside of the kettle? Can I also control the temp of the vortex using the air intake at the bottom? Guna do some wings and also low and slow some pork belly terryaki.
Matt

The wings I would fully load the Vortex (small end up) with lit coals then “circle” the wings around the outer area. Fully open vents.
For the low thing, reverse the cone, coals around the outside, adjust vents accordingly.

When I do wings, I foil the outer area of the coal grate so wing grease hits that instead of needing to clean the whole bowl bottom,when it’s done. I actually need to set that up for tomorrow, thanks for jogging my memory!

Vortex wings are as good as it gets. My set up is a medium Vortex in my 22" Performers.

Using the Vortex small end up full of lit coals gives you as good a sear as there is. Excellent for reverse sear, etc.

FWIW
Dale53

Guna try it with some chicken breasts and boneless thighs in the next few days. Quick sear over the vortex and then over to the outside ring for indirect. Hopefully don’t take to long to reach temp!

I understand that when you place Chicken parts in a circle outside the Vortex that it looks like indirect cooking. Maybe it is technically but it depends on how you define indirect. Direct is, traditionally, over the coals where the radiant energy of the coals cooks the meat. Indirect is when the air is heated and heat gets to the food by convection. The Vortex metal heats up to a very high temperature and the food outside the circle is still getting a heavy dose of radiant energy from the outside of the Vortex. My Maverick was reading 500° 3 inches outside the top ring and I pulled it out because it can't handle a lot hotter than that. That's my analysis of what happens when using a Vortex. Does it make sense or am I missing something?

I can get a char on Chicken without ever putting it in the sear zone. I just fill the Vortex and it will give me over 500° on the cooking grate around the Vortex. The Vortex is a great Chicken cooker.

Last edited:

Back