My first stab at bacon

Well, I took the plunge into the wonderful world of bacon, and it is wonderful. Should have done it a long time ago.

I figured I would do a small piece for my first try so I wouldn't ruin a huge piece if it went wrong. I also used a very simple rub that actually worked out very well.

So here we go....
This is the piece I used, the rub, and the Maple Syrup.
P9280334_zps76b9b06d.jpg

All rubbed up and ready to go into the fridge for seven days, flipping each day.
P9280336_zps8b4ebff1.jpg

Seven days gone by and now it's time to rinse well
PA050337_zps51253a1f.jpg

Then it's into the cooker at 225 with a generous amount of apple until ~140 internal
PA060342_zps602de609.jpg

We're there!
PA060354_zps87cab175.jpg

Into the ice bath to quickly stop the cooking
PA060355_zps14b514dc.jpg

Now for the fun part, slice it up
PA060356_zpsac409b6c.jpg

Of course a little taste test is absolutely needed, and it was really good
PA060359_zps93a411a6.jpg

Bag and freeze the rest
PA060361_zps8633d90d.jpg

In another couple of weeks I'll be doing a full size belly. I've got a comp next weekend so it will have to be after that. The next time I want to try one piece with a little spicy to it and one piece with more maple taste in it.

Russ

Yeah, I guess I was a bit vague there. Sorry about that.

Here it is:
1 Tbsp Tender-Quick (per pound of meat)
1 Tbsp Turbo Sugar
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Chipotle
Here's the subjective part. Two or three 'glugs' of Maple syrup (how's that for exacting measurements?)
You may notice that after the rinse, I added additional black and 5 peppercorn pepper before putting on the smoker.

Had some more yesterday for my Sunday breakfast. I'll never buy storebought stuff ever again.

Btw, I had some questions about what was on the lower shelf of the cooker. It was a bottom round that was braising for sliced beef sammich's.

Russ

Back