My first post

Scott Smith

TVWBB Pro
I am so excited to join this forum. I feel like I have found my people. I've pushed old Weber grills home through my neighborhood. I've driven my kids home with somebody's old grill strapped to the roof of the minivan. I have old and new spare parts stacked in the basement. I have scoured Home Depot and Amazon for those clearance parts and accessories. Currently I have three Weber gas grills on my deck, which is one too many. The one I bought (circa 2002) was actually from Bed, Bath, and Beyond before they started putting all those exclusions on the 20% off coupons.

It feels good to see a community of people that buy good quality stuff and find ways to keep it going. It doesn't take nearly the tools, skills, time, or money to fix up a gas grill that it does to fix up an old car or even a bicycle so a lot of people engage their "I can fix this" ethos and enjoy the thrill of success. With the oodles sold and the Weber and aftermarket support, very few actually need to go to the dump. No gratuitous transistors in the old girls either.

I could nitpick about some of the posts here about "Look at how I restored my grill". Many of these people didn't really restore their grill, they just took care of fixing some issues that they probably should have fixed sooner. I'm all for folks fixing things, but sometimes cleaning and replacing old parts are just a fact of life hardly worthy of posting about on the internet. We could debate that point I suppose, seen this is an internet forum. Some folks genuinely enjoy repainting and taking pictures of their darn grill. Power to them.

I will leave you with one random tip specific to Weber Grills that I haven't seen mentioned in the forums. Avoid cross contamination. Always put your raw meat on the same side of the grill. Always put your cooked meat on the opposite side of the grill. If you have the fold-out shelf, use that one for raw meat so that it can't possibly drip up and contaminate the higher shelf.

I look forward to lots of good reading on the forum!

Welcome Scott.

There is a wide range of rehabs from full on fabrication restoration all the way to "Earl Scheib" level paint with a parts swap or two.

The knowledge here is great and I'll look forward to your posts.

We love pics of grills and food...

Cheers

The desire to post photos is just a symptom of the internet generation. People post the dumbest stuff on their FB, instagram and twitter accounts all the time. Who cares if you are sitting in a bar watching a football game? But people post pictures like that all the time....and then a dozen people feel the need to respond.
I think repairing a grill is a bit more noteworthy. Especially from some of those people that have been used to the $199 Chineseum throw away grills. People are actually amazed they can make a grill last longer than three years. Some of those people go on to become very active rehabbers....that is kind of my story.

I'll just chime in to say that this is a very specific forum, for people who like Weber grills. Therefore, if we want to post pictures of "before" and "after" refurbishing them, I can think of no better place to do that. Also, I think that if there is an audience for that kind of thing, it is most definitely here.

I must admit I am reacting to your "nitpick" paragraph there Mr. Smith, and all I am saying is where else would one put pictures like that?

Anyhow, I guess I'm just saying that anybody, and I mean anybody who takes the time to care for something, even just with paint, has every right to be proud of themselves, and if they want to find a very, very niche website like this one to show that off, I for one am all in.

Here is a picture of my grill, with the newest thing I've done near it, I installed an outdoor light so I can see what I'm cooking without batteries, coming off the rotisserie motor receptacle I also recently installed. I didn't build the house, but I did customize it to my liking and I'm proud of my work.

I figure posting a picture like this in an appropriate subsection of a specialty website should be no big deal. Hell, some folks might even like it.

GrillwLight.JPG

I'll just chime in to say that this is a very specific forum, for people who like Weber grills. Therefore, if we want to post pictures of "before" and "after" refurbishing them, I can think of no better place to do that. Also, I think that if there is an audience for that kind of thing, it is most definitely here.

I must admit I am reacting to your "nitpick" paragraph there Mr. Smith, and all I am saying is where else would one put pictures like that?

Anyhow, I guess I'm just saying that anybody, and I mean anybody who takes the time to care for something, even just with paint, has every right to be proud of themselves, and if they want to find a very, very niche website like this one to show that off, I for one am all in.

Here is a picture of my grill, with the newest thing I've done near it, I installed an outdoor light so I can see what I'm cooking without batteries, coming off the rotisserie motor receptacle I also recently installed. I didn't build the house, but I did customize it to my liking and I'm proud of my work.

I figure posting a picture like this in an appropriate subsection of a specialty website should be no big deal. Hell, some folks might even like it.

View attachment 43207
I like the picture

It's one of the two "off red" colors that they had made. It's not the original red lid from that grill, I was acquiring them for a while until I built that one. I mean, put that one together lol. Ended up rehabilitating about four genesises, first a Silver B, then this 2000, and I've done two 1000s that I gave away to people who really like them but wouldn't spend the time to restore them. I've said before I think about half the people on this forum like restoring the grills as much as they like cooking on them! But most everybody likes pictures, so I figured I'd show off my new light. God knows my wife has been hearing all about it. It was kind of her Christmas gift to me, she had gotten me some kind of light from Sharper Image that attaches to the handle, and I had to do a very gentle request where I wanted to return the Sharper Image light and use the funds to ... fund the installation of that light, complete with Schedule 40 conduit for outdoors, PVC cemented in all the right places and a switch beneath a correct outdoor waterproofing lid. All that's left is painting the Schedule 40 either black, brick color or downspout color. I'm torn on what color, but have plenty of time before I paint outside, what with temperatures being in the god damns for while.

I wouldn't trade that grill for any other grill, new, used or what have you. It's got RCP SS rod grates, RCP flavorizer bars, wood side tables and it runs on natural gas. Couldn't be happier, especially now with the light and the roto motor receptacle!

Hi Scott, WELCOME!!!!!!

Sorry that some of the boys have forgotten their manners. :rolleyes: They are usually not like this, maybe "Cabin Fever".

Yes, you will find all kinds of photos here. One of the really nice part about this site, especially now. Being from Florida, it is great seeing photos with all that snow in them. And like I always say, don't care how many photos you post, just post a recipe once in a while. (that's my thing lol)

Last edited:
Hi Scott, WELCOME!!!!!!

Sorry that some of the boys have forgotten their manners. :rolleyes: They are usually not like this, maybe "Cabin Fever".

Yes, you will find all kinds of photos here. One of the really nice part about this site, especially now. Being from Florida, it is great seeing photos with all that snow in them. And like I always say, don't care how many photos you post, just post a recipe once in a while. (that's my thing lol)
I do lose my manners when someone I don’t know comes into my house and criticizes things my family and friends enjoy.

Hi Scott, WELCOME!!!!!!

Joan loves recipes and we love Joan.

I'm mildly fantasizing about painting it a brick color and putting white stripes on it to go with the horizontal mortar lines. But I'm not painting anything until spring. Well, anything outside. I just got done doing a room inside the house with some french doors. Counted them, there were one hundred and seventy french window trims to paint and scrape. Fun house.

Joan, how about a picture of a recipe? Here's a Peruvian Chicken rub, works excellent if you rub this all over a bird and spin it at 400-450 degrees for a little more than an hour:

Precipie.jpg

I'm mildly fantasizing about painting it a brick color and putting white stripes on it to go with the horizontal mortar lines. But I'm not painting anything until spring. Well, anything outside. I just got done doing a room inside the house with some french doors. Counted them, there were one hundred and seventy french window trims to paint and scrape. Fun house.

Joan, how about a picture of a recipe? Here's a Peruvian Chicken rub, works excellent if you rub this all over a bird and spin it at 400-450 degrees for a little more than an hour:

View attachment 43219
Hi, thanks, it's better than nothing. lol

Back