My first low and slow smoke.

Bruce McClure

TVWBB Fan
I'm getting a little braver! The Bride ™️ and I have been watching a ton of videos (thanks to everyone for the encouragement and recommendations) and found a couple of YouTube channels we like.
  • BBQ Pit Boys. These guys have been on YT forever and they have some pretty neat recipes (and some that look like they'd add at least 500# to my frame). They're selling all sorts of swag to go with your "pit" such as knives, rubs, etc., but their vids are entertaining and informative. Funny thing, they're out of CT and more than likely based fairly close to me. One of their videos showed them buying product in a store that was fewer than 15 minutes from my home. This is where I got that Coca Chicken recipe I showed off awhile back.
  • Low and Slow Basics. This fellow, Aaron Palmer, is out of Australia and has some very good instructional videos. In fact, this is where I learned the procedure for the low and slow rib cook I show off in the photos here. I like the way he instructs as he's not flashy and fairly matter of fact. To me, he's no frills all info. I like that.
I like How to BBQ Right, too. I just haven't watched a ton of his videos.

This cook came from instructions by Aaron Palmer on his channel. It's a video that's aimed at beginners like me, and it worked out just great. Came to about 4 hours cook time. I was able to keep the kettle at 250-270*F for most of the time (it got to 300* when the Mets let the Pirates back into the game today...LOL). Came off the grill, cut and serve. Fabulous. My sauce was pedestrian (Sweet Baby Rays...I want to find a recipe or another brand I like), but it was good eatin'.

The information, direction and encouragement from this forum is invaluable. To be honest, I joined another forum prior to finding this one and found it to be nowhere near as engaging. Sooooo...thanks for everything so far. I'll keep on cookin'!

Attachments

• 20210711_163755.jpg
    20210711_163755.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210711_164138.jpg
    20210711_164138.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 17
LOL at your 300 spike! Welcome here, and your meal looks awesome. I do enjoy watching the BBQ Pit Boys from time-to-time.
I was able to get it back down pretty quickly. But the Mets lost that game after being up 5-1. They just drive me nuts. When they look like they're going to rip off 14 in a row, they fall on their collective face. Oof.

Bruce, your cooks look great and I love your plates.

In case you haven't looked here, you will find all the recipes you need for sauce and also check the pork thread.

Thank you, Joan. That's very kind of you. I'll have a look at that link, too!

We've been trying to get away from the prepackaged sauces, so this will be a great resource. I don't mind buying rubs and spices as there's a lot of really good ones out there (I seem to gravitate toward Kinder's products). But if I could get started on a good sauce as a signature, that would be cool.

A sauce can take forever to get right, take your time. Don’t worry about the first fifty attempts, they are all learning experiences. It’s a constant pursuit of excellence and remember not everything has an interest in sauce as well as some sauces not working for everything, I have found that some sauces work well for pork or chicken but, I don’t much want much of anything on beef or lamb.
I did a lamb thing the other day which is a singular project. No reason to sauce it with anything. Just dress it with a little garnish of fresh Italian parsley and it’s mind boggling. Beef, I tend to like on its own. And to be honest, I’ve found that over the last couple of years, I don’t want any sauce on anything. Too much sugar? I don’t know, they just don’t call to me very much.

A sauce can take forever to get right, take your time. Don’t worry about the first fifty attempts, they are all learning experiences. It’s a constant pursuit of excellence and remember not everything has an interest in sauce as well as some sauces not working for everything, I have found that some sauces work well for pork or chicken but, I don’t much want much of anything on beef or lamb.
I did a lamb thing the other day which is a singular project. No reason to sauce it with anything. Just dress it with a little garnish of fresh Italian parsley and it’s mind boggling. Beef, I tend to like on its own. And to be honest, I’ve found that over the last couple of years, I don’t want any sauce on anything. Too much sugar? I don’t know, they just don’t call to me very much.
We’ve been doing a chimichurri for lamb and beef lately, outstanding!!

Yeah, chimichurri is great with beef. Have just gotten away from using (read making) it. Not a difficult sauce and very versatile!
Next time I do a leg of lamb, I’ll do it! Of maybe the next flank steak...

You came to the right place to learn- those of us who have been here for a long time and burned pallets of charcoal still learn new things and find new ideas to cook here all the time too!

Back