My first "invasive" WSM Mods -- Looking for advice on technique.

AndyC

TVWBB Member
Hi Folks,

Well, the weather is finally nice, I'm social distancing, and getting the itch to do a few mods I've been planning to my 18" WSM. I've done a few mods to my Jumbo Joe first, to build up my confidence on a $70 grill before doing anything to my WSM, and I'm finally ready to bite the bullet.

I have on hand:

2 Year Old, well used 18" WSM, with some drop-in mods to the fire grate/ring, and water pan, but as yet nothing irreversible.

* Unknown BBQ Hinge Kit
* Gasket Kit
* Cajun Bandit Door
* Replacement lower vents (mine got wobbly)

So, my questions for the more experienced modders out there:

1) Hinge first, or gasket, or does it matter?
2) When I first tried my Cajun Bandit door, it cracked the porcelain a bit near the corners of the door cutout. I painted over that with high temp paint, and went back to my original door. Once I apply the gasket, am I safer to try the CB door, or should I stick with stock?
3) Any tips on drilling out the stock rivets for the lower vents?? I've never drilled out a rivet before?
4) I've read that, once I apply the hinge mod it's likely my cover won't fit any more. Does anyone know whether a 22" WSM cover will be a good fit for an 18" with a hinge mod? If not, does anyone have any other solutions? I keep my WSM outdoors, so I seam-sealed my original cover to keep the water out, and have had very good luck that way. I really don't want / don't have room to drag it indoors. I suppose I could apply a trash bag over it, but I'd rather something that doesn't get me reported to the home owner association. :)

Stay healthy and safe, everyone, and thanks ahead!!!
Andy

Gasket first, then the hinge.

Apply gasket to the CB door, not the WSM.

I found needle nose pliers helped in removing the drilled out rivets.

There’s an aftermarket cover company that sells on Amazon that supposedly makes a smoker cover that fits the 22 with a hinge. I don’t use a cover so I can’t help you there.

Thanks Guys! Life got in the way, but hopefully back on the project soon, and I appreciate your advice!

My stock cover fits snuggly over my 18" which has the hinge and two small side knobs which are used as handles in removing a hot center section (something rarely done as it turn out).

Back