My FB marketplace find: Summit S-470 NG

JSalley

Long time lurker, finally registered. I'm pretty pumped about my new (to me) Summit grill, and nobody else would understand…so I figured I’d share it with you guys!

I currently own a Genesis S-330 that I got from Craigslist about 5 years ago, but I’m always perusing FB Marketplace and CL for Weber deals. The other morning, I stumble onto a post for an all-stainless Summit S-470 NG (natural gas). Lady is asking $300, it has been posted for 26 minutes. I immediately message her, and she tells me I am first in line. Awesome! I’ll come pick it up tomorrow. She says she cannot hold it for me, and there are other in line behind me. I tell her I will send her Paypal for $100 to let her know I am serious. She says OK. I ask her where to send the Paypal, and she says “don’t bother……the fact that you OFFERED to send me the Paypal tells me you are serious”.

I arrange with my dad, he brings his flatbed car trailer, and we go out to get it about 30 minutes away. We get there, lady tells me that she has been getting SOO many messages, that she had it listed for $300 and people were offering her $400, $450, and $500…..but she says “I don’t do business that way”. Turns out they just moved into this new retirement community, newly built house doesn’t have NG outside, so she is selling the grill. I looks the grill over, looks GREAT to me, and I put the $300 in crisp $20’s into her hand.

Brought it home, haven’t even cleaned it up yet. I don’t even have NG outside my own house…..but it will be easy enough to add.

Here’s my new $300 Summit S-470:
weber1.jpg

weber1.jpgweber2.jpgweber3.jpgweber4.jpgweber5.jpgweber6.jpgweber7.jpgweber8.jpg

As you can see, I was pleasently surprised by no rot inside the bottom of the cabinet. Looks VERY clean to me!

Cant wait to get NG line run outside and get this thing fired up, and bust out the Simple Green and the #0000 steel wool and get to work.
JS

Yah, really nice looking grill. I hope the rusted out fire box problems are not affecting your grill.

Hopefully she never registered it or had service on it. I hate to be a party pooper but you need to know that rust out of the fire box is the true killer of these grills. They work great up to that point (assuming the click valves hold out and such), but I would be mindful of the front of the fire box. They cannot be "fixed" only thing can be done is to replace the entire fire box. Lucky for you they still make this so at the very least you can buy the part. But, know when they rot out flames can come out behind the control panel (not safe). Maybe you can touch base with her and see if she has or knows where it was bought originally. If you can get away with registering it as first owner you may be in luck

Hopefully she never registered it or had service on it. I hate to be a party pooper but you need to know that rust out of the fire box is the true killer of these grills. They work great up to that point (assuming the click valves hold out and such), but I would be mindful of the front of the fire box. They cannot be "fixed" only thing can be done is to replace the entire fire box. Lucky for you they still make this so at the very least you can buy the part. But, know when they rot out flames can come out behind the control panel (not safe). Maybe you can touch base with her and see if she has or knows where it was bought originally. If you can get away with registering it as first owner you may be in luck
Thanks for the tip. Forgot to mention that she had the owner's manual included, and the envelope it was in was never even opened, so I doubt she registered it. I just tried to register on the Weber site, and the registration did go through! Bought yesterday, warranty starts today.

Serial number starts with "AA". Some Googling tells me this means manufactured in 2011.

Weber warranty - Copy.jpg

Looks like Weber states 10 year warranty on the "cookbox assembly", so in a few years if/when it rusts out, I'll get a warranty replacement.
Thanks!
JS

I also recently purchased a craigslist Summit. After getting it home and reading a few more things here I decided to dig into it.
If you pull of the control panel, manifold, burners and heat shielding (easier than it sounds) you can get a GOOD look at the front of the firebox.
I did that on mind and found it rusted through in a few spots at the burner holes and where the flavorizer bars deflect the flames towards the firebox.
Mine had already been registered so I was out of luck. I'm not dealing with it and parting it out to recoup some money and then will scrap the rest.

Jsally: YOu might have messed up there. You probably should have registered it with a purchase date closer to the manufacture date. They are going to realize that you didn't just purchase the grill new in 2020.
I saw a post a while back, something similar. Weber asked "How did you JUST purchase a 9-year-old grill?", guy told them that the local Ace hardware store had it on a back shelf, covered in dust,etc. for 9 years, had it on clearance just to get it out of the store, and he purchased it.

I think I'll be OK. Hopefully. I'm NOT going to submit any kind of claims today and try to get new parts for it. Definitely wait a few years. I'm going to be storing it in my garage, so age/weathering should be kept to a minimum.
JS

Great score that grill is nice!

If I were you I would just call Weber and tell them you bought the grill in (year she bought it) but that you just never registered it. “And oh by the way I think I made a mistake. I entered the wrong purchase date It should be ( year she bought it). Can you correct that for me?”
You’ve got 25 years on that cookbox and lid, and dollars to doughnuts you are going to need that cookbox warranty at some point.
I would get that purchased date fixed ASAP

good luck she’s a beauty!!

I saw a post a while back, something similar. Weber asked "How did you JUST purchase a 9-year-old grill?", guy told them that the local Ace hardware store had it on a back shelf, covered in dust,etc. for 9 years, had it on clearance just to get it out of the store, and he purchased it.

I think I'll be OK. Hopefully. I'm NOT going to submit any kind of claims today and try to get new parts for it. Definitely wait a few years. I'm going to be storing it in my garage, so age/weathering should be kept to a minimum.
JS
Sadly I don't think so. I would check that fire box now. Any sign of bubbling enamel or rusting I would jump on trying to get a replacement. Weber is NOT stupid. Plus in 10 years you can get stuck like me. A grill under warranty they don't make the parts to support so I now have a 350lb Summit paper weight on my front patio. My grill had a 25 year warranty. It went south in less than 10 and they still failed to support it. At least all you have is $300 to lose. So even if you only get 2 to 5 years for $300 and a little elbow grease maybe it can be justified. Kinda like I justified the $150 I spent for my Wolf 12 years ago. Total investment $$$$ $150 purchase, $75 for a high capacity gas hose, and round up to $300 in grates. Not a bad return plus it's all 300 series stainless even the cart frame. So rust is banished :D

Back