My 26" Performer

JeffG

TVWBB Gold Member
Robert, That 26'r Performer is off the hook, I can't wait to see what you cook on that baby.

No bottle opener needed, as most serious beer drinkers can open a beer with a rock, a lighter, a spatula etc.

Keep it clean.

No disrespect Lew.

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
Robert, That 26'r Performer is off the hook, I can't wait to see what you cook on that baby.

No bottle opener needed, as most serious beer drinkers can open a beer with a rock, a lighter, a spatula etc.

Keep it clean.

No disrespect Lew.
Who said it was needed? If you're going to be a bear, you may as well be a Grizzly Bear.:cool:

Mark Schnell

TVWBB Member
Well... I said it was finished, however I'm still looking for a hammered CL Performer to cannibalize for it's gas assist. Am in no hurry.

Man, that things is beautiful. I wouldn't even bother with the gas assist. You've got that killer side burner. Just put a chimney full of charcoal on that bad boy and your coals will be ready in no time.

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
It's now an XL Touch-N-Go.

PICT5363_zpshtfev7gu.jpg

PICT5368_zpsxmb5clf9.jpg

Picked up a used Performer with Touch-N-Go and a busted plastic table for $100. Replaced the bowl & lid (several Oh S*** moments - you know how that goes :p) on my Performer (went from green to black) & used the gas assist for the XL. Sold what was left for $70.

Getting there..... gotta work on a cover for it.

Last edited:

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
That's some serious engineering, Robert. I could have fabricated a lot of those parts with the right equipment, but putting them together into a functional unit would have been a stretch for me. You, and forum member, CaseT, have some killer skills.

John B

TVWBB Pro
Robert, that is looking awesome, amazing work! By the way, thanks for sending me the leftover 26" parts from this kettle. I kind of feel like my 26" is famous now!

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Absolutely Breathtaking! Do the top handle and bottom front handle really have a function anymore?

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Robert, does the bowl just sit in the holders, or is it welded?

Neither - like the factory brackets on a Performer- screws & nuts. Used stainless 3/16 screws... probably should have used 1/4" for the macho look. Plenty strong, though.

PICT4655_zps85cc65ke.jpg

Welded a nut to the back of the bracket (not ss) - made assembly ez. I don't weld stainless - can't afford the wire or gas.

Last edited:
I'm still intrigued by the side burner, have you used it yet and if so how do you like it? The reason I ask is the side burn on my gas grill is really only good for lighting charcoal and warming sauces, and that burner looks like a winner.

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm still intrigued by the side burner, have you used it yet and if so how do you like it? The reason I ask is the side burn on my gas grill is really only good for lighting charcoal and warming sauces, and that burner looks like a winner.

Someone said it would melt lava & I think it just might be able to do that. It may be a bit overkill, but works just fine. It has two rings which can be lit independently. I've only used the small inner ring to fry or boil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. It puts out a lot of heat - way more than the large power burner on the range in the kitchen. I suppose if I wanted to deep fry a turkey or do a crab boil in a huge pot I'd light both rings. I really like the way the skillet or Dutch oven is nestled into the table - makes things very convenient.