Mr. Rib on a Bun

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Guru
Hi everyone! Only my second time posting images, so please pardon any inevitable mistakes here...comes with a story. Back in college, I played baseball for a couple of years at a D3 school in the midwest. Given the lengthy bus rides, we were usually given decent food (read: not that healthy...it was the 80s!) on the trips. Our team's favorite was the old-school McRib style sandwich, which seems to have gone the way of the dodo these days. Our coach's wife used to make these herself and pack coolers full of them for the long rides. Home games, not so much. Come to think of it, there's probably a good reason our away record was so lousy...diet. Our catcher could eat like six of these things.

Anyhow, thought I'd try to replicate these using a variation of Kenji Alt's recipe. I've done this recipe a few times now, and I reduce the salt in the pork butt by one half, given that the ribs use a rub that already has salt (first time I made them, I used the regular amount and we suffered through them...blech, too salty.) Whole cook is a two-day process for me: Ribs were made the day before this cook and cooled overnight. They are labor intensive, messy, and utterly fantastic. Think I've got it down now. Again, this takes time and isn't something I'd have time to make if not for quarantine. Enjoy and excuse my photo skills. Had to move the cook indoors when the lightning/downpour came...finished them on the stovetop with some Blues Hog bbq sauce. Homemade pickles. Made some decent brioche buns, but we opted to save them for other sandwiches. Went with hoagie rolls for this one.

HH ribs for this cook:
20200628_215622.jpg

About 1lb pork butt, cubed. This will be ground 2x with the rib meat. Unconventional (raw+cooked ground together) but solid.
20200803_210306.jpg

Ground together, squared up, and lovin' it! Too heavy on the rub on the north end...
20200721_213526.jpg

Starting the finish in the pan...
20200804_004306.jpg

Getting there...
20200804_004332.jpg

Finished. Nothing healthy about this one, folks (except maybe the homemade pickles).
20200804_005659.jpg

Thanks for looking! Everyone have a safe, fun weekend.

Back