More Pies in the GMG Oven!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My daughter returned from her HS graduation trip on a redeye that arrived this am. Yesterday I had decided that we'd do a pizza dinner to welcome her home. I prepped 3 dough balls of my usual dough (AP/00 mix), balled it up after ~3 hours of room temp rise, then into the fridge until this afternoon. Dough got pulled out about 3 hours before cook time, I did a 50 minute pre-heat of the GMG with the pellet grill set at 400°. Stone temp was 717° in the front and 752° in the back, so off we went......

Pie #1: Sausage with jalapenos on half (honey drizzle after cooking)

1655432902682.jpeg

Pie #2: Straight up pepperoni (Gallo, pre-sliced)

1655432930450.jpeg

Pie #3: Pepperoni and mushroom

1655432950961.jpeg

It may not be totally obvious from the pics, but pie #1 took a little longer, and needed to be domed to finish the top. I wrote in my notes that I need to add 5-10 minutes to my pre-heat time. All the pies were really good. Even bake on top/bottom, and the 2/3 pies were right at 3.5 minutes to done (about my target with this dough and thickness.)

Busted out the dehydrator today, too, as we have a bunch of oranges on our tree and our neighbor dropped by with a huge bag of apricots. I couldn't resist making a batch of my favorite cocktail garnish.... :)

1655433078125.jpeg

We've got a few slices of pizza left over as my wife had to head out of town (sick friend), and daughter #1 was in SF interviewing. Happy household right now! :)

R

Rich,
The pies look amazing! I can see what you mean with pie 1 not Leoparding the way the other two did. I think you are right on increasing the warm up time.

We were up in Cape Cod and we went to a Neapolitan pizza spot, it was very good. However, when I was there I had three thoughts that were based around you pies. First, the best pie we got was pepperoni and hot honey, oh man was it good! When we were looking to order I said I know Rich puts honey to finish some of his pies, which is why the family went for it, your culinary choices are trusted even in my house! The second thought was that I knew your pies were ever better then these very good pies. Which lead me to my last thought of I have to restart my pizza making venture! Keep those pies coming they motivate me to get on it!

Honey. On pizza. Man I don’t know about that...🤔

Interesting. Not sure I’ve heard of that before. Those do look delish!

That is what my wife said 20 mins before she took the last piece (that I had my eyes on) of pepperoni and hot honey pizza on vacation. There is something special about the way it adds to and heightened the spicy-ness of the pepperoni (or with Rich’s pie the jalapeño and sausage) with they yeasty-ness of the crust and the robust sauce. I want to work to recreate that experience we had at home.

Rich,
The pies look amazing! I can see what you mean with pie 1 not Leoparding the way the other two did. I think you are right on increasing the warm up time.

We were up in Cape Cod and we went to a Neapolitan pizza spot, it was very good. However, when I was there I had three thoughts that were based around you pies. First, the best pie we got was pepperoni and hot honey, oh man was it good! When we were looking to order I said I know Rich puts honey to finish some of his pies, which is why the family went for it, your culinary choices are trusted even in my house! The second thought was that I knew your pies were ever better then these very good pies. Which lead me to my last thought of I have to restart my pizza making venture! Keep those pies coming they motivate me to get on it!
🤣 The hot honey sounds like an interesting twist, sounds like you guys are having a great trip!! I'm just a backyard pizza hack, but after many iterations, have settled on what we like (though, if I'm being honest, my dad raised me to know what a good pie is.....the rest of my family is less discerning.) :)

Plenty of folks here at at pizzamaking.com that can help you with your pizza making when you get after it!

Enjoy the trip!

R

Interesting. Not sure I’ve heard of that before. Those do look delish!
Tim, I ripped it off from the local Neapolitan joint, and I was dubious the first time as well. It's a perfect foil to spicy jalapeno (must leave seeds and ribs in) and the salty sausage (and cheese, depending on what cheese you are using.) It's worth a try....don't have to drizzle a whole pie to test it out.....just have the honey handy for anyone who wants to try it on a slice, or even just a bite. :)

Awesome cook Rich. Good luck to your daughter on her interview
Thanks, Chuck! She was given a verbal offer with the official offer coming today or Monday. She is very excited, as this place was her top choice to work, and it will give her enough in salary to live where she wants without being rent poor! :)

R

Well, I guess I’ll have to try honey on my pepperoni pizza. Certainly not a combo one would think would work haha

Trader Joe’s has a hot honey now, I tried it on my pizzas I made last time on the GMG, it was good, I’d like it even hotter.

Trader Joe’s has a hot honey now, I tried it on my pizzas I made last time on the GMG, it was good, I’d like it even hotter.
You can make your own hot honey if commercial versions aren't hot enough for you. Lots of recipes out there, but it's essentially just honey that's been infused with chiles (fresh or dried) over some mild stovetop heat. It's on my list of things to make once my pepper harvest gets going! :)

The brand I put the Amazon link for has a hotter version, it may be worth a try. I really liked just the touch of heat. While at the pizza spot we also got a desert with a sweet biscuit, the hot honey, house made vanilla gelato, and eral gray tea whip cream. Each element added to it being amazing (with the eral gray tea infused whip being the star). The honey with just the hint or heat was really cool.

You can make your own hot honey if commercial versions aren't hot enough for you. Lots of recipes out there, but it's essentially just honey that's been infused with chiles (fresh or dried) over some mild stovetop heat. It's on my list of things to make once my pepper harvest gets going! :)

I've done this with some success, Rich. I still liked Mike's brand more, but if I'd kept at it I think home-spun would be the way to go. I don't grow peppers, but you will definitely kill this when your harvest comes in.

I wonder how mixing a little of this into honey would work... I just happen to have both...

I guess it's worth a try.

20220618_142345.jpg

Back