Montreal Smoked Meat

Ken I

TVWBB Member
Bold move! Can’t wait to see and hear about the finished product! Is there a particular recipe you are following?
I am using this recipe with some deviations. I basically used all the ingredients in both the rub and the cure for the cure. For the rub tomorrow I will do the same, but will omit the sugar and curing salt, and use a lot less kosher salt.
I also cured for 7 days, not 4. Most recipes say to cure for at least a week.

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve Madden

TVWBB Member
I am using this recipe with some deviations. I basically used all the ingredients in both the rub and the cure for the cure. For the rub tomorrow I will do the same, but will omit the sugar and curing salt, and use a lot less kosher salt.
I also cured for 7 days, not 4. Most recipes say to cure for at least a week.
Thanks for sharing! Sounds pretty similar to making pastrami with a few other flavors thrown in. Very interesting! Surprised to see the only steam it to 180F instead of up to 203F.

Ken I

TVWBB Member
On at 10:30 A.M. Weber briquettes, half a snake to start, water pan about half filled with boiling water. Should hold for 4-5 hours at 250-275, at which point I’ll rebuild the coals. Fat side up!

Attachments

Ken I

TVWBB Member
8 hours at 250-275. Had to add a few coals to keep things going but nothing major. Weber briquettes burn a long time.

Took it off at 165, let it rest, then the flat steamed for 2 hours. The Prague powder #1 penetrated all the way through the flat

It is tasty, but dry. And after 2 hours in the steamer, it is still a bit chewy.

I’m steaming the point this morning, we’ll see if it’s any juicer, and more tender.

next time...I’ll try a wet brine, double the spice amounts, and leave it cure for 14 days for a more intense flavour. I’ll also bring it up to 205 on the smoker before taking it off, and let it rest at least an hour before steaming.

not bad for a first time...Will update with a report on the point when it’s done steaming.

Attachments

TCampbell

TVWBB Fan
Hi Ken! Good looking brisket there....really solid cook., imo. One thought: Did the steaming bring it up to about 200 degrees internal, or only 180? Might experiment with that temp if the meat was too chewy. I have done something similar, and the difference b/t 180 and 205 was significant. Love the preparation and the color...great first brisket cook.

Last edited: