Mock Pastrami

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Decided to do a smoked corned beef in an attempt to make something close to pastrami. To my surprise, I came very close and discovered something very tasty.

All I did was, purchased a 5.5lb Corned Beef Brisket from the store. Soaked in tap water overnight, changed the water twice. Then generously coated with black pepper, cooked between 225-235 until internal temp hit 170* wrapped in foil and rested for about an hour. Sliced, made reubens and enjoyed, here are a few pics.

Sliced
Sandwich
Sandwich2

Wolfe,that looks great!!! my next to do for sure..
icon_wink.gif

Larry,

Nice job !!!! Looks like the real deal. New york deli style pastrami. Does it still taste like corned beef with something added or does it taste more like pasrtami? I was thinking of going whole hog and trying to make some from scratch by dry aging a flat and smoking at a temp of 160° then steaming. Anyway, enjoy !!

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does it still taste like corned beef with something added or does it taste more like pasrtami? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al,
I'd say last night when I ate it while it was still warm it tasted more liked smoked corned beef. But I just had a piece cold out of the fridge after sitting overnight and it tastes just like deli pastrami. Fantastic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Larry, looks great. What kind of bread did you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dale, I used Pumpernickel. Reubens are made with Rye but the store didn't have any. Was still great!

Looks fantastic. I was just thinking the other day that corned beef should be rolling in to stores in large quantity soon.

Larry, Is that Guinness better than Bud Select?
icon_smile.gif

The best sammich of all time: The Reuben
Not available in the UK or have not found one yet, so I'm forced to make my own, I have to say that looks better than anything I've made to date. Superb. Now Samual Smith's is another story ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Larry, Is that Guinness better than Bud Select? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> No comparison!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The best sammich of all time: The Reuben
Not available in the UK or have not found one yet, so I'm forced to make my own, I have to say that looks better than anything I've made to date. Superb. Now Samual Smith's is another story ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I got the Samuel Smiths for Christmas and really liked it.

Looks and sounds good Larry.
I been doing a lot of reading lately about making pastrami on different sites around the internet. It's about time to just do it.

Larry,

Think I'll just stick with corned beef (and Guinness) and cabbage for St. Patty's Day. Don't want to mess with tradition.

Do the pastrami after.

I've done that a few times. Really liked it. I thought I was actually making pastrami.

What is the difference between this mock (smoked corned beef) pastrami and the real thing?

FYI
Corned beef - a beef brisket, cured in a brine containing mixed pickling spice and cooked in moisture.

Pastrami - a beef brisket, cured in a brine. coated with a variety of spices, Sometimes cracked black pepper only. Montreal Seasoning is gaining in popularity. Then cooked using dry heat, smoking, oven, etc.

Joe

Back