minion method question

TroyS

TVWBB Member
I've seen the minion method described as hot coals in the center of coals not lit which should burn outward and also as lit coals poured over unlit coals burning downward. Which one is better or are they relatively the same?

Troy...
If you get a chance, you'll find on this forum conversations with Jim Minion regarding his evolving method(s). Interesting stuff. BTW, he used both center and top at different times.

Currently, some prefer one method over the other. Just one of those things you must decide for yourself. Also... both are the considered the 'Minion method'.

From more recent conversations, it looks like Jim Minion is now just using a propane powered weed burner to get the coals going... :)

Bob

Lit briquettes 'sprinkled' over the top the unlit pile burning downward worked for me through hundreds of both backyard and competition cooks.

EDITED TO ADD: Jim Minion is IMO responsible for making world-class BBQ accessible to more enthusiasts and removing barriers to access for more aspiring competitors than any other single individual except possibly George Stephen. A true gentleman and a legend in our ever-growing community. I instinctively take a moment to reflect on my gratitude for his mentorship every time I fire up. I believe I am not alone in my admiration.

Last edited:
It may well be that either the "Tin Can Minion Method" or the original Minion Method are equal. I can't really say.

However, I have settled on the tin can method for both my 14.5" and 18.5" WSM's and LOVE the consistency of the burn. It has helped me to take most of the pain out of smoking and maintaining stable temps.

YMMV
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

It may well be that either the "Tin Can Minion Method"……….However, I have settled on the tin can method for both my 14.5" and 18.5" WSM's and LOVE the consistency of the burn. It has helped me to take most of the pain out of smoking and maintaining stable temps……...
+1 on this method. :)

I have used both the top and tin can methods with my 18.5 and14.5 with equal results. I settled on the tin can method because very seldom do I do a full burn of the coals and the tin can method makes it easier to harvest the unburned coals. Not a big thing but it does help.
For the performer I use a 2 or 3 wide snake because the performer likes to play catch me if can with temperature swings and the snake method seems to be the most stable.

I find it easier to just put a couple of lit on a bunch of unlit, but I don't think it matters

I sprinkle around 8-10 lit briquettes evenly spaced across the unlit bed of coals and bring my temp up very gradually. Works like a champ for me.

T.

Haven't tried the TTT.....yet.
Hope to give it its maiden voyage next weekend. (In fact, I need to do a dry-run this week to get to grips with it.......weather permitting).

I did a cook yesterday and went with hot coals in center. Burned out fairly even and made about 6 hours total with no additional fuel. Thanks for the responses everyone.

I spread lit coals evenly over unlit charcoal. Simple, easy, works great. No need to make a depression in unlit charcoal. No need for a bottomless tin can.

Back