Mine as well post my turkeys: One Fried. One Smoked.

Jim Bounds

TVWBB Fan
Turkey Day. My wife bought 2 12lb Butterballs which had a label on it stating "5% water". I did not know if this meant it was brine or not? Regardless, I dry brined both for 24 hours uncovered in the fridge. Turkey day I rubbed them down: cajun on the one destined for hot oil and a combo rub I made up for the WSM bird. The WSM was water pan in, no water. Two full lit chimneys and cranked up the WSM to 325 and let her do her thing. Apple wood - just a few chunks. It finished way faster than i thought so i put it into a faux cambro while I deep fried the other 12 pounder (took 36 minutes for you fry heads). Both were delicious, but the subtle smoke from the WSM won the taste test by a photo finish.

I have other pictures, but they all involve family and friends and their identities have been hidden to protect the innocent. Here are the two birds on the counter.

Friday and Saturday we destroyed the leftovers and we needed more food. So I put a half turkey breast (dry brined) and a Bone-In Pork Roastfrom Costco on the Ranch Kettle. I never cooked a full bone in pork roast: I dry brined it. Rubbed it down with some Dizzy Dust and smoked it with cherry wood. Towards the end of the cook I seared the outside and did put a light coating of Stubbs original and carmalized it into the exterior. If you get a chance - cook one of these roasts. It was wonderful. Made for quite a presentation.

Thanks for looking. I promise to improve my camera skills - i always forget to take more pics.

Jim, I see more than 2 birds on the counter in your first pic. Since you did 1 smoked and 1 fried, have you ever tried smoking one first and then finishing it in the fryer? The smofried can be very tasty too. I like your bone in pork loin! I do pork loins on the kettle a lot, but have not seen bone in, gotta try one of those too.

Excellent job Jim, those birds are fantastic and bone in roast out of sight. I'm sure a great time was had by all!!!

Jim, I see more than 2 birds on the counter in your first pic. Since you did 1 smoked and 1 fried, have you ever tried smoking one first and then finishing it in the fryer? The smofried can be very tasty too. I like your bone in pork loin! I do pork loins on the kettle a lot, but have not seen bone in, gotta try one of those too.

Excellent observation. That's a hokie bird hat one of my daughters wore all day!

Back