Meat loaf! Yummmm

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Just put a meat loaf on with some fatties. Using pecan wood. Looking forward to a great lunch
icon_biggrin.gif

You are in for a treat my friend! I made this last weekend - equal parts veal, pork & beef. Spiced it up - some green peppers and onions inside, glazed a few times - came out great! It was a bit dry on the ends because I didn't "loaf" it as well as I should have - thus the edges were +200° when the middle was done at 160°. What I did for next time (since I had 6 total pounds of meat) got a cheap $4 loaf pan from walmart and drilled a few holes in the bottom for drainage. This way it will stay in tidy loaf form and cook very evenly. I just hope the smoke will get inside it enough with having only the bottom holes and the top exposed. Any have any suggestions?

I also used Pecan Smoke wood - 6 adults and 1 child agreed, best meat loaf ever.

Dave, it was great!!!! My wife hasn't stopped talking about it. I use a deep fry pan with the handle cut off to hold my meat loaf. Good part is it gets smoke from every where. Top, bottom, sides. Bad part is when you put the meat in the pan ,if you push too hard it squishes through all the small openings which makes it very hard to get out without it breaking up when its' done. Think next time I may just free form it on some parchment paper. Your recipe sounds delicious. Will have to give that a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Verba:
Any have any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smoked meatloaf is the best!! We never do it in the oven anymore.

I usually take a small sheet of HD foil (a little larger than the loaf) and poke some holes in it and lay it on the grate. Then put the loaf on that.

You could use the "cheap $4 loaf pan" as a mold and turn it over and slide the loaf out and onto something like this.

I just might have to do some meatloaf tomorrow night now...

I always put mine in a cheap aluminum pan and then put it in the fridge for an hour. Then I take it out and and turn it upside down on my ready smoker grate and release it from the pan. It keeps it's shape throughout the cook. No fuss no muss.

Try it!

It doesn't count if you don't post pics!
icon_biggrin.gif

I use the same HD foil method as Don. It doesn't hurt to get the meatloaf good and cold before you put it on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Think next time I may just free form it on some parchment paper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paul, that;s how I do it. Form the loaf on the parchment that's on a rimless cookie sheet. Then take a sharp knife and cut the parchment the same size as the loaf, leaving a flap on the one end. Then take hold of the flap and slide it off the cookie sheet onto the grate. Do the reverse when finished.
icon_wink.gif
Glad to hear you liked the loaf. I just use lump when I do meatloaf as I find I get plenty of flavor from the lump. I did use smoke wood once, many years ago on a loaf. Once was enough as I found the meatloaf to take on way too much smoke.

Great ideas guys! Loaf had a great smoke ring. Sorry about the pics.I'll get them next time. I used lump on this burn. I always have good luck with the lump on short cooks like this but can never get the hang of packing down the lump for those real long cooks

I put the mixture in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and then put it in the refridgerator for at least an hour. When the grille or smoker is ready I take the pan out of the refridgerator and invert it to place the meat loaf directly on the grille. The loaf will hold its' shape during the cook.

Back