Maverick ET-73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone had any problems with this thermometer
yet? I hope to hear only good news. I am a little
worried because this is so new, the bugs have not been worked out yet if ther is any.

No problems with the mav so far just the pitmaster.
Please read

Just doing my first cook with the maverick. Doing pork shoulder. Put the meat on at 7am.(used Minion method) . So far its working well . Used the clip to attach under the top grate. Just a few points I found interesting,

#1 I found my self becoming obsessed with the smoker temp.When using an analog- after the first hour I never checked the temps more than once every hour (maybe 45 minutes).Now I found my self watching it constantly for the first 2 hours.And because I never watched the temp that closely before, I never noticed the temp swings. After I added the meat and the temps got up to 245 I did what I normally do just leave the intake vents cracked. The cooker then seemed to stabilize at 246 (after going as high as 250). then over 20 minutes I whatched it go done to 237. Then up again then down again. I realized the cooker probably does this but watching it was different. Luckily I did not mess with the vents and the cooker is having an average temp of 243. I finally put the receiver were I could hear the alarm but I would have to get up and look at it to see what the temp was.

#2 After 5 1/2 hours I went to turn and baste the shoulder and forgot to turn off the alarm. After completing task I started doing yard work. My wife then in a somewhat state of discontent informed the pit master "that #@#!!!! alarm thing has been ringing for 10 minutes". Lesson learned -Shut of alarm before opening cooker and turn it back on once the temp comes back up or I'll get an ear full ( and unfortunately its not corn).

JIM

Did my first attempt with the WSM tonight. BRITU and chicken on a throne. 3 racks of baby backs, 2 whole chickens. The Maverick was a champ! Alarmed me if the temps were too high, reminded me when to turn the ribs, and informed me when the chicken was at 180.
I also was obsessed with the smoker temps (What? Gal obsessed? Nooooo way!), but I learned so much about how the smoker behaves.
The ribs were the best any of us had ever had. The chicken is on the menu for tomorrow night. My mother, who is the pickiest eater I know, had three helpings, I had to make her stop...thought she was gonna make herself sick. My niece, who eats like an anorexic, stopped by and we asked her to join us, she had 2 helpings, grabbed a third, but decided she just had no more room...
I couldn't be more pleased with my first attempt!
I'm hooked...

My pork butt finely was done at 6. I let it rest. Then sliced and chopped. Turned out good. Have plenty leftovers. The maveric alarm went off once (for real). Temp dipped to 223 after 6 1/2 hours. I forgot to stir the coals at 5 1/2 hours when I turned the meat. After getting the ash build up off the charcol The temps quickly shot back up to 240. After the meat rested for 30 minutes I stuck my trusty regular digital meat probe in the meat near wear the mavrick probe was and got identical readings. While cooking I had the meat probe on the maverick set to 188 but I didnt wait for the alarm, I took it off at 187 -Just couldnt wait any longer.

Jim,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I forgot to stir the coals at 5 1/2 hours when I turned the meat. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Is this something that you do just for a butt or roast? Doesn't the stir cause ashes to fly?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
[qb]Is this something that you do just for a butt or roast? Doesn't the stir cause ashes to fly? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This is something you gently do for any extended cook so the ashes that build up can fall away from the burning coals and not smother them.

Most of the time I dont actually stir. A couple of gentle raps on the side of the charcoal holder will ussually cause enough ash to fall through the grate. How much you do depends on if your temps quit falling and start to go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back