Mating a red top 1000 with a 2002-3 Silver B

Tony O.

Hey guys, this is my first big post on the Weber bulletin boards and I've been cooking with Weber's for about 20 years now. I have a Weber 3000 1997 in storage and I drive for a living now so I don't have much time at home. On the road one day I saw a red top on the side of the road with a free sign and I had to pick it up. It was in rough shape but all the parts are there. Burners were disintegrating but the rest is just a little rusty, nothing too bad. So I put it on the side of the apartment building that I live in currently and just put the cover on it that it came with. Skip to about a year later when I drive up alongside the road again and there's a 2002/3 silver B. So there I go again scavenger... I had to have it. Silver was in a lot better shape than the redhead. Missing the side table, a broken locking wheel and rotted flavorizer bars. So i decided to take the best of both of them and put them together. Planning on adding the wood table and lift up tray to the silver and the Red Top lid. I'm leaving the silver cookbox but I'm adding the wood handle to the lid. I'm also considering removing the plastic end caps on the silver and making some out of wood to match the tables. This is just an idea for now but I do have both barbecues sitting there just waiting for me to do something to them I will post pictures as I progress through my idea.

Can't really help you with your project, but I did want to welcome you to the forum. Pictures are good, we love pictures :)

The silver and the 1000 are very different animals. The silver series has a smaller firebox to accommodate a single row of flavorizer bars (the 1000 is deeper and slightly larger both front to back and side to side). That being said the burners, manifolds, and I think lids are not interchangeable. Same goes for the grates. Best bet is to find parts to redo the 1000 as overall IMO it's the better grill

There are parts for this in the buy, sell, trade forum under my wanted thread.

Edit: GPinch has now decided to keep the 1000 to refurb himself. Disregard this post :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
I've had both grills at the same time and I agree with LMichaels the 1000 is a better cooking grill than the Silver B. Although the Silver B is still better than most grills in that size range.

I agree the more flavor bars the better

But can you put a later model top on the 1000 box?

Wishing had tried this while I had them side by side

I don't believe you can. Everything on the silver is different I tried explaining that

Are you sure because both Weber and Ereplacmentparts show the same grates fit the B & C and 1000 -3500 genesis part # 7525. I would think the firebox would at least have the same width and depth measurements.

Are you sure because both Weber and Ereplacmentparts show the same grates fit the B & C and 1000 -3500 genesis part # 7525. I would think the firebox would at least have the same width and depth measurements.

Even my summit uses the same grates just 3 instead of two. Big part of the reason why I wonder if a hood swap is doable

Oddly from Weber's own parts list they do not show the grates interchangeable. When I bought some new grates for my dad's 2000 the boxes in the store showed different grates for the older series to the newer letter series. I simply have never tried because I do not own a newer version of the Genesis. If it fits hey so much the better

I have taken them both apart and taken numerous measurements and the Red Top from my genesis will fit the 02/03 silver b. I'm going with the lighter silver b cookbox as it has outstanding burners and I'm ditching all of the plastic. I'm using the wood from the 1000. Keeping the silver b cart and manifold/knobs as it all works perfectly. Ordered 16 ga flavorizer bars for the silver cookbox. So my next thing is scraping sanding and painting.

I don't know if the Photobucket link works for the new pictures but progress is going nicely. I fit the Red Top on the silver b today and finished resizing the slats on the side table. I had to cut a quarter inch off so they would actually fit between the bolts that are on the frame. I removed the bracket from the plastic swing up table and measured and attached it to the wood swing up table. I have the pieces cut already but have yet to assemble the wood end caps to mimic the Silver B end caps.

This great news for me! I want to maintain my 13 bar cook box but run my newer hood that is blue because it matches my performer!

This great news for me! I want to maintain my 13 bar cook box but run my newer hood that is blue because it matches my performer!

Good to hear Reggie G. I really do like when people get creative and spice up the rebuilds a little. I've seen a few customizations here and there on the web.

Just wait next up will be me pellet fed Genesis. I took some measurements this morning and it looks like I may even be able to retain all 13 flavor bars if I can find a donor box!!

But it will likely have a red or black hood doubt I'll be able to score another blue

20160508_123755_zpsglcbcs6z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ready to cook but not done yet.

Back