Mashed Neeps. (Swede - Turnip - Rutabaga).

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru

This is a perfect compliment to a roast dinner when mashed potatoes are served. As you can see the prep is exactly the same as making your own mashed spuds. Easy, peasy to make. Delicious and very nutritional.

Ingredients

• 1.5lb swede, peeled weight around 22oz.
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 3 tablespoon unsalted butter.
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper approx.

Instructions

• Peel the neep, removing all of the outer layer of skin. Dice the inner part into cubes around 1in.
  • Place the diced neep in a pot and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover and place the pot on a medium-high heat to bring it to a boil.
  • Once boiling, reduce heat to keep at a steady boil and cook for around 15 minutes until the neep is tender to a knifepoint. Remove from the heat and drain.
  • Add the butter to the cooked, hot neep in small pieces and mash them together so that the butter melts in as you mash. Give the mash a good seasoning of pepper, to taste, and a little salt if you feel it needs it. Serve warm.

We ate rutabaga when I was young. Here in the states turnips and rutabagas are different though my Dad was one that sometimes called rutabaga “cow turnip”. I have not had either of those in a long time, parsnips I’m a little more apt to make, rutabaga is a bit strong for my taste.

I've not had rutabagas, only turnip and swede. From what I understand the rutabaga is a much stronger taste than turnip or swede. Something akin to Satan's Nads.

I never had rutabaga till I was married, dang things are a pita to peel.
Wife's family is part Scottish and always served it on Thanksgiving.
She makes the mash with whole milk or cream, simmered in stock. If too strong you could add some potato or turnip.

Back