Marking the lawn

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So here is the issue. Maybe someone is a lawn care expert. I apply lawn chemicals a couple different ways. Most recently I used my tow behind sprayer. Wanting to be responsible with chemicals I also bought a non toxic dye to supposedly mark where spray was applied. Well it was useless. Blended so well with the grass could not really see it. Friend told me he used to have a sprayer that had an attachment to a wheel that left a white mark every so often to show where you were. Anyone got any input on this? It really is making me crazy LOL. I have heard of putting chalk dust in your drop or broadcast spreader, but found that made a bigger mess than actually helping. I would like the ability to use on both broadcast dry application and my liquid tow behind

Sounds like a relative of a commercial boom end marker. Prior to GPS usage, devices would be mounted on the end of the boom that used a soap & water mix to drop foam blobs every so often so you could see where you've been. The soap degrades fairly easily. On a home sprayer, you might wan to rig something like an electric solenoid or switch to control which end is dropping.

Here ya go:
First video result from "spray foam marker" search.

The best I can do is try and go out very early, like 6am, so I can see my tracks in the dew on the lawn. This may not work out west where it's very dry.

Trouble is with a contact herbicide it's not always the best idea when using them in liquid form. I'm using/used a form of Tenacity. Which is a multi species contact herbicide so doing it on a dry lawn is best

Larry,
I use Tenacity myself but I mix it in my portable sprayer and do just the problem areas.
Tenacity is the best I've found for getting rid of Clover.

Jeff

I live on a one-acre parcel and am fighting creeping charlie constantly. I refuse to hire a lawn care company to do applications 4 x a year. I do the scotts wee n feed in the sping and then their fall blend. What is tenacity? What else are you guys using?

Last year used Scotts and it killed nearly my entire lawn. Yes I read directions, yes I followed them for application rates carefully. Even to the point of being a little "light". I will never again buy any Scott product. Tenacity is an excellent product. Very expensive to buy but not to use. I used a product recommended by a pro landscaper called SpeedZone by Gordon's. Unlike Tenacity it is not rated for crab and quack grass. But it is doing a real number on the clover, chick weed dandelions and other stuff. Not so much on the creeping charlie though. I may need a second application to really get rid of it but I will see in another couple weeks. Just about time for another round of fertilizer as well. I finally have a lawn that can be played on, looks nice, my grandson can run around bare foot in, My hard work, time and money are finally beginning to show progress.
Now I am working on my tree issues. I have 3 large pin oaks. One is showing Chlorosis very badly. So I have installed some Jobe's spikes around the root system, and also drilled and installed iron supplements in the worst. The other one I think will be ok with only the Jobe's spikes

There is still something so satisfying about being able to walk around in a lush lawn like it's a large carpeted extension of your home. Lovin seeing the little guy out there barefoot or doing the same. It's been a lot of work and still more to come but I am loving my results. Time for another fertilizer application, and then in another 3 weeks or so I will do another SpeedZone (weed killer) application to knock down what the first did not get.

There is still something so satisfying about being able to walk around in a lush lawn like it's a large carpeted extension of your home. Lovin seeing the little guy out there barefoot or doing the same. It's been a lot of work and still more to come but I am loving my results. Time for another fertilizer application, and then in another 3 weeks or so I will do another SpeedZone (weed killer) application to knock down what the first did not get.
Yep, Larry in my younger days I did enjoy my lawns, but now that I'm old slow and full of fleas I really enjoy my "rocks". Lets me use what little energy or ambition I have for more sedate pastimes. :)

I'm with Rich-at this stage there's nothing quite like a nice low maintenance desert landscape! I remember it Jeff, but don't miss it!

I get it but I really don't like rocks and sand, it's some hard work but I can do it in my own time. Nobody is chasing me. I take my time, keep a cool bottle of water on the tractor and use pull behind implements as much as I can. So yeah, same here. Older/slower flea bitten and still trying to "get er done"

Hey Jeff,
Here's what you're missing.
No mowing
No fertilizing
No weeds
No work
Oh I do have grass...artificial, see above for work required
Rich 😉

Rich... You forgot to add having to flood your lawn... Or that just a Phoenix thing ?

Rich... You forgot to add having to flood your lawn... Or that just a Phoenix thing ?
Yeah that's a Phoenix thing. Why anybody in Phoenix would want a lawn is beyond me, I mean it's in the middle of the dessert and water is precious in this dry state.
Up here in the high country I would guess that less than 5% of the homes have grass.

I thought this thread was about something else..
GettyImages-537014072.jpg

Back