Making bacon for the first time part I

StineV

Hello good pepole

There comes a time in your life when you just had a revelation that you just have to take something to the next step. I got so inspired by watching the Chop and Brew episode when they maked bacon that i just had to try this.

I bought a pork belly at my butchers and started to trim the skin of my meat. This was the result.

IMG_1146 by stinevo, on Flickr

My kid also wanted to donate some pork, so he brought his playpig and his puzzle pig

IMG_1147 by stinevo, on Flickr

I found a recipie on a norwegian website for panchetta and bacon. In norway you do not get pink salt. We have nithritt salt, wich according to my dad has a lower content of sodium nitrate. I used 1.5 oz Nithritt salt, two tabelspones of black ground pepper, two tablespoons of maple syrup and some bayleaves.

IMG_1148 by stinevo, on Flickr

Let the rubbing begin

IMG_1149 by stinevo, on Flickr

Wrap it in foil
IMG_1151 by stinevo, on Flickr

Put it in the fridge for a week
IMG_1151 by stinevo, on Flickr

My thoughts about this..

I may have overdone the black pepper...

How do you guys think i should regulate the heat on the WSM. I was thinking using the snake method. I do not want the temp to pass 140 degrees.
I will make a try run on this next saturday..
Any suggestions...

Looking good, I really like b lack pepper so to me it looks fine. Good luck and don't forget to post finish pics!!!!

I know nothing about what your about to do, but I do have a concern about the low temp cook. 140 is a breeding ground for bacteria

I also happen to live in Norway, and I think we have a lower risk of bacteria growth than most of you. This is simply because of two reasons- one, a very strict regime on food control, as well as the temperatures we live in. I've made bacon dozens of times at 140f, and I have never had any problems at all with bacteria spoiling the finished product.

StineV, the panchetta receipe on "ordentlig mat" is very good. Do try!

Back