Maiden Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Well, I'm sitting here in my q'in plaza (driveway), keeping an eye on my new WSM and her maiden voyage. Everyting is running along as advertised. Rubbed up about 12# of butts, got em going with cherry wood smoke, and the WSM has decided to hang out at about 240 degrees or so. It is operating about the same as my modified weber kettle, but was easier to set up since it was actually built for this function. Looks like I got a unit with good air seal and such since temp control has been easy. Not even running hot as I have heard a new one will do.

Tonights cook is the last practice run before the CA Classic next week in Antioch, CA. My first competition, and I'm looking forward to putting the new cooker to good use. I don't know why, but my wife rolled her eyes when she saw me putting it together. She seems to think that four bbqs is too many for one guy to have. Hah! what does she know!!

Cigar in hand, JD rocks close by. Hope everyone is having a good Q weekend!

Rich G. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good luck in the competition-- I'd like to be there, but some family function keeping me away.

Tell your wife bbq rigs are to guys what shoes are to women-- you can never have enuf!!
Clark

Clark-

Ha! I like the shoe analogy. I'm sure it will go over well. Too bad you can't make the competition since there aren't too many local ones.

The butts turned out great. Had some temp control issues (due to me sleeping and a therm gone haywire), but(t) all turned out well. Three racks of ribs were devoured, and the butts are on the menu for tonight.

Fun stuff!
Rich G

We'll see you Friday.

You don't need to worry about falling asleep at the cookoff. I will make it my personal responsibility to keep waking up you every 15 minutes!

This is gonna be fun!

HJP:

Great, then I can leave my alarm clock at home since you will be making sure that I'm up regularly to check on the cooker!! Nice to know that my competitors will be so accomodating! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I hope you smoke cigars, I'm bringing a whole bunch (can't let the meat get all the good smoke, ya know!!)

Rich G.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich G (RWC Q'er):
[qb] HJP:
I hope you smoke cigars, I'm bringing a whole bunch (can't let the meat get all the good smoke, ya know!!)
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mighty generous of you.
I have tired many times to acquire the taste for cigar smoke. For some reason we just don't get along. More for you though!

My buddy Tim who is cooking with me is a total beer snob and will be bringing some of the good stuff with him. I will be able to offer you some high quality suds!

See you then,

Cigars????? Did someone say Cigars??????

Have fun Rich! I usually supply the stogies when I cook. I drag along a couple hundred in my humidors and smoke away the weekend!

I use the cheap, food-grade plastic sealable containers....Rubbermaid, Anchor, Tupperware, etc. They travel well and hold the humidity too good.

Good luck!

Stogie-

Was wondering if you had your cigar topic alert on! I pretty much drag cigars along with me anytime I think I'll have a chance to smoke 'em. I use empty cigar boxes as my travel humidor. Selection this weekend will include:

R&J Vintage #4
R&J Churchill
Gloria Cubana Maduro Churchill
Henry Clay Habana2000 Obelisk

HJP:

I've been known to drink "snob" beers a time or two. To go with the cigars mentioned above, I will have the following beers in the cooler (Rick is supposed to bring the single malt):

Pacifico
Grolsch
Guinness

Oh, and I guess I'll bring some meat and stuff to throw in a styrofoam box on Sat am! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back