Love When Things Go Wrong

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Posted earlier about a half spatch cocked bird I ended up buying. No problem. I have always recommended (and still do) a construction water cooler to use for brining. Well, haven't used mine in a few years and when I went to fill up, the cup fill drain leaked all over. Upon examination the push cap to allow fluid to come out had developed a hole. Now what. Well a large diameter bolt and extra duct tape let me replace the spout with no leaking. OK. Now to refrigerate the brine. Well my garage beer fridge is auto defrosting when the temp gets below freezing. Well it was today. Took several hours to transfer pans to my other freezer to finally add enough water to get the brine below 140. The garage should be 130 tonight. Just to let you know that even when it gets tough you can get the job done. On the smoker in the AM. Happy T'day tomorrow and hope your turkey cook goes well.

Ain’t it always the way! I started my Thanksgiving Day brisket this late afternoon and thermometer readings were all over the place, very wet weather starting issues but, now things have settled in some. I think I should be OK until morning at this point.

Hi Dan. Thank you for your post. I'm confused about your stated temps but, beyond that, what is a construction water cooler?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Posted earlier about a half spatch cocked bird I ended up buying. No problem. I have always recommended (and still do) a construction water cooler to use for brining. Well, haven't used mine in a few years and when I went to fill up, the cup fill drain leaked all over. Upon examination the push cap to allow fluid to come out had developed a hole. Now what. Well a large diameter bolt and extra duct tape let me replace the spout with no leaking. OK. Now to refrigerate the brine. Well my garage beer fridge is auto defrosting when the temp gets below freezing. Well it was today. Took several hours to transfer pans to my other freezer to finally add enough water to get the brine below 140. The garage should be 130 tonight. Just to let you know that even when it gets tough you can get the job done. On the smoker in the AM. Happy T'day tomorrow and hope your turkey cook goes well.
Glad you rescued that! I had a similar one and the O ring or seal dry rotted one year. Lucky I had an XL Ziploc bag.

Back