Love the description of this SS Gas assist performer on Craigslist.

Bruce

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Yah, I had a customer who bought a Genesis from me and we were talking about Performers and he thought the gas assist was used if you didn't want to use charcoal.

LeeHarvey

TVWBB Super Fan
Yah, I had a customer who bought a Genesis from me and we were talking about Performers and he thought the gas assist was used if you didn't want to use charcoal.
A lot of people seem to have that idea. I don’t know how many times I’ve ever said “you just use that to light the charcoal”.

Bruce

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
You would think someone would show him the error of his ways and he would remove the video.

John_NJ

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone ever modified a kettle grill to run on propane for actual cooking?

It would be cool if there was a plug in burner tube so you could use the performer for either gas or charcoal.

Bruce

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
John, Weber actually made them back in the day. I think back in the 80's. They didn't get good reviews and the shut them down. They are definitely collectable now however.

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
Has anyone ever modified a kettle grill to run on propane for actual cooking?

It would be cool if there was a plug in burner tube so you could use the performer for either gas or charcoal.

The add-on burner for the kettle was pretty popular in Australia.
They are fairly ease to find over there, but unfortunately will set
you back about $150 just to get one shipped to CONUS.

Mack Manning

TVWBB Fan
The add-on burner for the kettle was pretty popular in Australia.
They are fairly ease to find over there, but unfortunately will set
you back about $150 just to get one shipped to CONUS.
Rare, expensive, useless?! I'll take it!

I think the strangely overheated Performer I recently rescued was a victim of this misunderstanding. Bowl enamel was destroyed where the propane would hit, and the charbin was turned into a modern art masterpiece.