Loosen Stuck Manifold Nut

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I’m trying to get this hose connection off the manifold, but the nut won’t budge.

Is this one of those “PB Blaster + Blow Torch + Wrench with EZ Bar Extension + Elbow Grease” kinda jobs?

Just looking for do’s and don’ts, thanks.

Yes, all my propane is disconnected.

IMG_8483.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg

That's gonna be a tough one. It looks like it is a flare connection and it is brass, so it should not rust or corrode like steel or even aluminum. I am thinking heat might be the best option. I really don't know how much torque you could put on that connection, but it should be pretty stout.

Buy yourself some line wrenches. They don't spread their jaws as easily. IIRC that is a 5/8" (but I could be wrong I am old). Odds are someone over zealous likely put some kind of sealant in it and now it's gonna be a pistol to get off

Ok, the bracket idea was a success.

Next problem… 😂

These Phillips Head are stripped. What’s the best way to remove them?
I was thinking about using a cut off disc in my angle grinder to cut a slit for a flat head screwdriver to fit in.
Is that the most straightforward solution?

IMG_8491.jpegIMG_8490.jpeg

I use vice grips. It may snap off
I love this idea, but the teeth of the Vice grips are just slipping off the head. It seems like the head is too shallow, like too close to the cookbox. So they don’t get to “bite” in

I love this idea, but the teeth of the Vice grips are just slipping off the head. It seems like the head is too shallow, like too close to the cookbox. So they don’t get to “bite” in
I bring the vice grips in straight from above and mash the bolt until it has enough of a squared off edge to catch, then I will use a second set of pliers to turn the vice grips. hope this makes sense.

If you try to cut it off with a cutting wheel, you are likely to hit the thin sheet metal and even if you don't go through, you will create great opportunities for rust. Drilling out the bolt would probably be the best idea. The hole from stripped out phillips threads should provide a good centering point for the drill bit.

I bring the vice grips in straight from above and mash the bolt until it has enough of a squared off edge to catch, then I will use a second set of pliers to turn the vice grips. hope this makes sense.
Is the “mashing” just from repeatedly trying to chomp the bolt?

Or are you actually chiseling something into the head?

If you try to cut it off with a cutting wheel, you are likely to hit the thin sheet metal and even if you don't go through, you will create great opportunities for rust. Drilling out the bolt would probably be the best idea. The hole from stripped out phillips threads should provide a good centering point for the drill bit.
I’m not worried about the cookbox, it’s being replaced.

Back