Looking for advice on using HM with solid state relay

Mark Workman

Since I have an electric smoker, I will need to use the HM with a solid state relay (SSR). I have used SSRs on other projects. So I know the basics. However, I am worried about the variable rate fan output causing some unexpected results (when connected to a SSR). Are there HM config setting that I should be using with a SSR?

Under LinkMeter->Configuration->PID Output Parameters, I selected the "On at max only" check box for fan speed.

I expected this option to toggle the fan output voltage (i.e. speed) between 0-100% (and back). Thus, eliminating the "variable" voltage produced by the HM. However, this seemes to have no effect on the variability of the fan output voltage.

Am I missing something?

Any other advice on using a SSR with the HM would be appreciated.

I've used mine with an electric smoker/ssr and my brother has used the one I made for him with his as well with no issues.

That being said you can set it up to be more SSR friendly, though I've never done it because it just works for me.

dave

You probably don't want the "only on at max" setting, which means that the output will only be on when the output percentage is 100%. You can hook the blower output directly to the SSR and it will most likely work just fine. The other option is to set the min fan speed to 100%, which will then put the output in a 10 second period. However in this mode, the output can only be 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100% so the value you see will be rounded down. I'd try just the regular options first and see how it works then go from there.

Sounds like really good insight. Thanks. I believe the hysteresis built into the SSR will keep the heating element from cycling on/off (which was my main concern). I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thanks for the help...

Back