Looking for advice on managing cook

JayT

TVWBB Member
Hello all, I am having friends over for dinner on Saturday night and I am planning to smoke chicken wings and STL ribs, both in my 26 Kettle. The issue is that I don't have space for cooking both the wings and the ribs at the same time.

I am planning to smoke the ribs hot and fast, so about 90 minutes to 2 hours total. Wings should take about 45 minutes to an hour, roughly. So all together I expect a 3 hour total cook time.

So what is the best way to do this? Which should I cook first? The wings or the ribs? How do I keep the first cooked item warm until the guests arrive?

Any and all tips and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks, but would this make my oven smell of smoke?

I've done this a couple of times and unless you spill a lot of rib fat in the oven it's fine. I get more smoke smell in the house bringing the food in off the smoker.

How many slabs are you cooking? You might want to cut the slabs in half to make them easier to juggle around. You said you are planning hot-and-fast. That's not how I do mine but I'm gonna presume they will still be dripping fat at the end of the cook.

I've finished ribs in an oven a couple of times. Both times it was because I was taking the ribs somewhere. I do a modified 3-2-1 style. ( 4-1-45min)

Once I had full slabs, once they were cut in half. I smoked, then wrapped, and then took the wrapped ribs to friends and put them on sheet pans with racks and lightly glazed some and put them in the oven. Some I left unglazed and I was able to use part of their gas grill to just tighten them up a little.

Once after the wrap phase I just made foil boats for each slab and was able to put these in the oven and the foil contained the drips. I wrap meat side down, but when I open the foil I just flip it over to finish. If you have two ovens you could preheat one to 200 then shut it off to hold the finished product. I would hold the ribs open just like this.

1726331098591.png

I'm falling off my game. I can't believe I didn't suggest looking for a cheap or free kettle off FBM and cook the wings on the kettle.
Well, we can’t offer ALL the various recommendations at once! Yes, I use multiple kettles or a WSM and a kettle with a vortex fairly often! More space is good!

Agree.
Brings the ribs close.
Hold.
Wings
If ribs need any finishing, wings will be appetizers.
Throw some sausages on for filler

Back