Looking for a decently priced knife sharpener.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Any recommend knife sharpeners in Amazon? We use Vicorinox knifes and I picked up a Victorinox honing rod, I’d like to add a simple sharpener as well.
The one Harry Soo uses looks cool but a little pricey.
Thanks

They're not cheap, but I swear by the WorkSharp tiny little belt sharpeners. It takes longer for me to get the box down and open it up than it does to sharpen a knife, and it's sharp enough to dry shave with. You can just about put an edge on a bowling ball with this.

For our Labor Day bash a couple of years ago, I apologized to a long time buddy who was dicing up stuff for me that my chef's knife was a little on the dull side. He looked up and said "This is dull? I'd hate to see your SHARP knives." Since then, he's gotten one as well.

So, my wife's favorite knife is a Wusthof. I did some research and discovered that for at least the Wusthofs and Henkels they need to be sharpened at specific angles that are different for each. So, based on that we bought a Wusthof 2 stage sharpener... this one:

Works very well for my wife's knife, as you would expect. But, I'll also say that I have a couple IKEA knives, which are very inexpensive but I absolutely love them. Those IKEA knives get very, very sharp using that Wusthof sharpener.

These are the knives I have from IKEA:

That 365+ chef's knife gets every bit as sharp, if not more, than my wife's pricey Wusthof knife.

I know this isn't information specific to your brand of knives but something that might provide some insight.

They're not cheap, but I swear by the WorkSharp tiny little belt sharpeners.

That's what I use also. It does a heck of a job. I practiced on a couple of my more inexpensive knives first and quickly got the hang of it. They have some good demo videos on their website.

Practice keeping only the tip of your knife on the cutting board and you wont have to sharpen very often, I have always had to sharpen my blades after cutting stuff up, I tried only letting the tip touch the board, bang. a touch to the meat or vegetable on the way to the board and pull thru, perfect slice and the knife is still sharp at the end of the preparing, you have to retrain your self from sawing thru and dulling your blade. I use a work sharp when I need it but the carbon rod has been way more than needed since I started retraining my self.

Another technique to keep your knife edge straight and aligned is that when the cutting edge is in contact with the board, it only moves forward and back, never sideways. If I use my knife to scrape something off the cutting board, I'll use the back edge GENTLY so as to not risk the now fully exposed cutting edge.

I am not a good knife sharpener by my own devices, nor am I a very well-coordinated user. I have the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO but I lack the patience to change the belts, so I’ve been using the Chef’s Choice 130 for the past year. For me, I consider it an excellent sharpener. For as much as we enjoy this passion, whatever we use for our knives, we deserve for it to be well-suited to our personal taste.

I have a couple of the Chef's Choice sharpeners. I don't care for the edge they put on, and the economy model won't sharpen all the way to the bolster.

I use Smith Tri Hone. There might be a learning curve to using a stone but once you get it down it's easy. After every time I use a kitchen knife I use a sharping steel and only have to use the stones every couple of months.

This is what I do, different stones though. No matter what you get, using a good honing or sharpening steel every time you pick up a knife helps a ton. I only take them to the stones once a year.

I just picked up a victorinox honing rod and a couple of sharpeners on Amazon. Both get good reviews but they were pretty cheap so I don’t expect too much. Seemed to do a decent job, I’ll make sure to use the rod every time. I’ve always seen them just never used one.

Last edited:
My Knife Sharpener is "Neil's Sharpening Service" https://www.facebook.com/neilssharpeningservice He has stands in and around Philly-area Farm Markets and will usually have your knives done while you wait/shop. I always get my main knives done right before t-giving and also take 1 or 2 with me when I shop other times depending on how much they need it.

Yes, I realize this was not what the OP wanted but if you live in/near Philly, Neil's is the best.
Paul

Paul, you just reminded me......

When I was living outside of Chicago (years ago....,) I found a hole in the wall butcher that was really good. I'd wandered in to get beef for Stroganoff, and since I was the only customer, he offered to slice it up for me. He'd just started, when somebody walked in with a newspaper wrapped bundle in one hand, and set it the bundle down next to the butcher. The butcher immediately stopped what he was doing, opened the bundle, took out the twin to the knife he had been using, and finished the slicing job, with a visibly easier effort. Turns out he had 2 complete sets of knives, and one was always out for sharpening. He offered to send my kitchen knives out, but I'd have been without for 4-5 days.

I really miss that butcher shop.

They're not cheap, but I swear by the WorkSharp tiny little belt sharpeners. It takes longer for me to get the box down and open it up than it does to sharpen a knife, and it's sharp enough to dry shave with. You can just about put an edge on a bowling ball with this.

For our Labor Day bash a couple of years ago, I apologized to a long time buddy who was dicing up stuff for me that my chef's knife was a little on the dull side. He looked up and said "This is dull? I'd hate to see your SHARP knives." Since then, he's gotten one as well.
I bought a WorkSharp a couple of weeks ago and really like it. I was sharpening all the knives I could find. Had to warn my wife they were all sharp, but she managed to stick her finger anyway.

While not a cheap option, either, I’ve been using a Wicked Edge sharpening system for years. It’s probably the last sharpener I’ll ever buy. I can sharpen at exactly the same angle every time and get a screaming sharp edge as smooth or toothy as I need.

Lansky makes a cheaper version that has an angle guide and I have friends that get very consistent results with it, also.

Back