Long Day Ends With Pork Chops on the E6

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Woke up in Cedar Rapids this morning and was greeted with a nice sunrise.
sunrise.jpg

Had some coffee, and hit the road, got home around 2:30 and finished work....then poured an Oktoberfest - this one is pretty good. local to St. Louis. I've been sampling beers from all over the country and there are lots of good ones out there.

beer.jpg

We decided to have pork chops on the E6, potatoes and salad for dinner. I decided to try the reverse sear. I filled one weber basket, then took 5 KFO briqs off the top and put them in the mini-chimney like so;

lighting 5 briqs.jpg

Once they were mostly ashed over, I arranged them evenly in the top of the basket, and put these nice thick chops on the indirect side over some foil. I put a good amount of salt/seasoning salt on these about an hour before hand and kept them in the fridge. I had the E6 up to about 350 on the dome thermometer just about 10 minutes after closing the lid.

chops on.jpg

After about 30 minutes or so the chops were about 110F so I started searing them off. The charcoal basket got nice and hot once I opened the lid...

searing chops.jpg

Here's a shot of the chops and potatoes. I halved/quartered some small red potatoes, boiled until tender and drained. I heated a 1/4 cup of olive oil with 2 large crushed garlic cloves and then added the potatoes, tossed them around a bit and put in a 400F oven until they were crispy

finished chops and taters.jpg

And, here's my plate.... I sliced up my chop, served with potatoes and spinach, red pepper, goat cheese and balsamic salad.

my plate.jpg

I hope everyone has a great weekend - be sure to catch a sunrise or sunset if you can and let us know what you end up cooking!

Great looking chops, John!
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get those beauties?

Last edited:
Woke up in Cedar Rapids this morning and was greeted with a nice sunrise.
View attachment 39421

Had some coffee, and hit the road, got home around 2:30 and finished work....then poured an Oktoberfest - this one is pretty good. local to St. Louis. I've been sampling beers from all over the country and there are lots of good ones out there.

View attachment 39422

We decided to have pork chops on the E6, potatoes and salad for dinner. I decided to try the reverse sear. I filled one weber basket, then took 5 KFO briqs off the top and put them in the mini-chimney like so;

View attachment 39423

Once they were mostly ashed over, I arranged them evenly in the top of the basket, and put these nice thick chops on the indirect side over some foil. I put a good amount of salt/seasoning salt on these about an hour before hand and kept them in the fridge. I had the E6 up to about 350 on the dome thermometer just about 10 minutes after closing the lid.

View attachment 39424

After about 30 minutes or so the chops were about 110F so I started searing them off. The charcoal basket got nice and hot once I opened the lid...

View attachment 39425

Here's a shot of the chops and potatoes. I halved/quartered some small red potatoes, boiled until tender and drained. I heated a 1/4 cup of olive oil with 2 large crushed garlic cloves and then added the potatoes, tossed them around a bit and put in a 400F oven until they were crispy

View attachment 39426

And, here's my plate.... I sliced up my chop, served with potatoes and spinach, red pepper, goat cheese and balsamic salad.

View attachment 39427

I hope everyone has a great weekend - be sure to catch a sunrise or sunset if you can and let us know what you end up cooking!
Your food looks great! We used to call Cedar Rapids Cedar Rancid when I worked there 50 years ago.

LOL - according to Wikipedia, Cedar Rapids is nicknamed the "City of Five Seasons", for the so-called "fifth season," which is time to enjoy the other four. A friend of mine who grew up there calls it the City of Five Smells.... I think the Quaker Oats plant and various other Cargill/ADM facilities contribute to the 5 smells along other scents coming from the surrounding farmlands.. It all smells like money to me ;)

Urban Chestnut brews some great beers. I havent ben to their brewery, but I live North of St Louis and in their area of distribution. The chops look good, by the way!

Back