Little help on some tacos. Pulled beef and lamb.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Going to do some tacos over Memorial Day, I picked up some chuck roast on sale a few weeks ago and I’ll grab a boneless leg of lamb for the wife, kids can pick and choose.
I’ll be smoking these in the SmokeFire to 160ish and then braising in some form or fashion.
Brett mentioned birria tacos and they sound amazing, I am looking for a more traditional flour tortillas, pico and guacamole type taco.

I’ve watched some barbacoa recipes and this looks like it has a ton of potential.

Here’s my problem, wife doesn’t eat beef so her braising liquid can’t be beef broth based, I’d like to make the same thing just with 2 different proteins.
I love chipotle’s in adobo so that as a braising liquid in some form sounds like a great start.
Maybe a modelo nègro blended with some chipotle adobo is all I need?
Any thoughts and what not are appreciated.

Vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Make your own or buy the cardboard packaged ones at the supermarket.

Solved.

If you want to make your own, mirepoix and add rutabaga or parsnip to the mirepoix. Either of those are slightly sweet and impart a great flavor to broth/stocks.

Vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Make your own or buy the cardboard packaged ones at the supermarket.

Solved.
Crossed my mind for sure. Not familiar with the flavor of veggie broth but seems like a simple solution.

Jeez just watched chef Tom do some birria, the man can cook.
Probably what it’s like at Brett’s house. 😆

Crossed my mind for sure. Not familiar with the flavor of veggie broth but seems like a simple solution.
It’s good and clean. I make it often when we have mixed company of eaters and veg eaters. A chicken soup or a beef soup is a vegetable stock right up until they add chicken or beef. No one will know the difference. Yup the store stuff and you can mod it if needed. Or it’s super easy to make.

Sauté mirepoix and rutabaga or parsnip in some EVOO till color has developed and then add water and salt to pot. Bring to boil then simmer for 45-60 minutes. Strain and voilà. Stock.

I like your idea of using some beer as your base for the braising fluids. You could mix in some canned enchilada sauce along with the adobo in the beer.... Hatch brand enchilada sauce was pretty good when I used it in some chilaquiles on mothers day brunch so soften up some tortilla chips.

I'm not a vegetable broth user. I tried it and found the flavor to be too sweet..... But maybe that's just the brand I used.

IMG_20220525_134027530.jpg
Bruno,
I saw this at the Mexican Market when I went today and thought about you. The little tag on the bottom in English said it was it was the perfect bbq/dressing/condiment to finish your Barbacoa before serving it.

No luck, I will be making my own barbacoa sauce for the beef and the lamb.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Back