Lid painting recommendations

Jay D in Jersey

Closed Account
The paint job on this Broilmaster on our beach house deck is going on 2 years old. Either I didn't prep the surface correctly, the cover isn't a good thing, or it's the nature of the beast in this salt air environment or a combination of all three...but kind of disappointing. Everything else is fine. Fired up immediately even after the rather intense, fast moving storm we had the other night.
Any suggestions if I choose to repaint?20230305_082229.jpg20230305_082217.jpg

Last edited:
Tried cleaning up with a vinegar citric acid solution. Slight improvement but I think a thorough sanding and coat of paint might be in order. I might brush or roll it on though. 20230305_105521.jpg20230305_105514.jpg

Rustoleum high heat ultra if you want a satin finish.

I've seen @Bruce use flat on some cook boxes but I'm not sure which one.

I'd say get it degreased and as clean as possible. Clean it down finally with thinner (lacquer thinner not mineral spirits), or prep sol. Then hit it with any good paint. LIke you would with the end caps on a Weber, or like the lid on a Q

I wouldn't over prep it, but thats me... I would scuff it lightly and paint over the paint on it.
That's my plan. I think I have about a pint of Rustoleum high heat satin...not spray. I'm thinking wire brush, sand paper and wipe it down with mineral spirits.

I don’t know that it will hold up any better, but I am becoming more of a fan of Krylon’s high heat black. It is probably true that you can get a thicker coat with a brush, which won’t show on the Broilmaster’s textured finish.

Even so, I think you probably will have to be resigned to frequent repainting in that tough environment. At least the Broilmaster aluminum doesn’t rust!

I don’t know that it will hold up any better, but I am becoming more of a fan of Krylon’s high heat black. It is probably true that you can get a thicker coat with a brush, which won’t show on the Broilmaster’s textured finish.

Even so, I think you probably will have to be resigned to frequent repainting in that tough environment. At least the Broilmaster aluminum doesn’t rust!
Jon, does the Krylon come in brush on/roll on?

Nice looking boat across the street. Does your neighbor let you use it?

You know the old saying, the best boat is my best friend's boat. When I was going down the shore years ago, I was lucky to have two good friends who had boats.

Nice looking boat across the street. Does your neighbor let you use it?

You know the old saying, the best boat is my best friend's boat. When I was going down the shore years ago, I was lucky to have two good friends who had boats.
It's a Boston Whaler...19'?...Don't know the HP of the Merc on the stern. Have not been out on that one but the other neighbor next to him has had me out. His boat is a different story...twin 225 HP Suzukis...it's a fishing machine and he's a Navy guy.

Back