Leg Quarters to Start

I like theook of these, but both have a bit different color.
What was your prep for each, as they both have a nice crush also.
I am always wanting to learn options.

I like theook of these, but both have a bit different color.
What was your prep for each, as they both have a nice crush also.
I am always wanting to learn options.
Even ramping up to 550 after I dropped the breasts, they didn’t get much of a char.
The leg quarters rendered real nice and skin was crispy.
Meat Church Gospel on breasts.
Franklin BBQ rub on leg quarters.
Leg quarters were sprinkled with rub and went directly on grill.
Breasts were pounded to even them out some, rub added then into fridge while the legs cooked. Much better if rub is added right before going on grill for chicken breast in my opinion. But laziness won over and prepped all together.
Very little smoke flavor because all was done at fairly high temps. Similar to cooking over medium heat on a Weber Kettle.
13416EA1-CB5A-49A6-93C8-4B3D2A1075E9.jpeg

Last edited:
There is just something about how those pellet poppers cook. IDK why or how, but unless you mess up big time stuff just comes out better than a gas burner. I'm finding my Genesis is going the way of my Wolf. 98% under the cover and I am relying on my pellet popper and Q320 more and more

Super, nice cook. My family really likes the flavor of birds off the Smokefire.
Thanks Lew.
Smokefire chicken is great. Spatchcock, leg quarters, wings, all turn out great. ABTs, stuffed mushrooms are also a winner. Still prefer direct heat over lump charcoal for burgers and chicken breasts. But I’m getting better on the Smokefire.

That chicken looks fantastic Darian. That's funny I've done hundreds of cooks on my Camp Chef pellet grill, but I've never done chicken. I do that on my performer or E320 gasser. After seeing yours and what Larry said I'll give it a try.

Actually doing lemon pepper chicken kabobs on my pellet popper today! Also made home made pasta dough, it's al made and rolled and cut into tagliatelle. My first time with this recipe (2 cups AP flour, 2 whole eggs, 6 yolks 2Tbs EVOO) and then simply using my KA pasta roller to make sheets the cutting into strips 7 to 8mm wide. Also did a nice batch of marinara. My guests are going to eat very well today for my birthday :D

Back