Leaking Propane on my genesis

BWalkerPA

So my genesis is leaking propane somewhere. I replaced the line from the tank about a year go when I smelt gas underneath. I figured I would do a full replacement of anything that can leak gas as that must be cheaper then replacing my grill. I'm just not sure what I should be looking at replacing.

Hoping you all can point me to the parts that I should replace. I have delayed this too long and I miss my grill.

May not be parts leaking but maybe you did not set up the fittings correctly. Shoot some photos of where you feel the leaking is and what you have done to date. We can give recs on how to handle it from there. Soapy water helps locate as well

How old is the grill? I guess we can't discount old parts(manifold, valves) as the culprit.
6 or 7 years at this point. I'll get some pictures. It stopped after I replaced regulator and hose. Did not try the soapy water trick, where should I be checking for that?

What parts should I be taking pictures of? I put the tank back on and sprayed all the hoses I could see and didn't see any bubbling. I can't hear anything either. Going to leave it for a bit see if I still smell propane.

Last edited:
I believe its a genesis 310/320/330 the 2011 to 2016 models. I would have bought it in 2015 or 2016.

Oddly enough I don't think its leaking. I have sprayed the regulator and hose, the metal hose that goes into the manifold, I can't get the connection to the manifold right now I'll take that apart later. I don't see any additional bubles besides those when I first spray the soap water. I don't smell gas but I also smell soap.

Ill check back in when the soap water dries.

Spray the soapy water everywhere that has raw gas. From the tank, connectors, hose, manifold, valves, etc. All those parts as well as the connectors between them. Then, make sure the valves are "INSIDE" the burner tubes.

I feel like if it was coming out of the manifold or valves I could smell it pretty easy since I can get close to those with my nose. This is mind boggling to me lol. I wonder if I just didn't close a valve all the way or something weird like something got stuck in the knobs.

The hose connection to the manifold is a possibility. The soapy water trick should detect that.
Do all of the burners otherwise light and run good?

The hose connection to the manifold is a possibility. The soapy water trick should detect that.
Do all of the burners otherwise light and run good?
Yeah they start immediately. I'm beginning to think what I was smelling wasn't propane and I took my grill out of commission for no reason.

WEll. At least do the soap spray test. Make sure the tank is on with gas pressurized into the system when you do it.

@BWalkerPA a couple of questions to double check

You mentioned a 2011 to 2016, so a front control genesis 3xx
Does it have a side burner?
Does it have a sear burner?

When you replaced the host, the fitting to the hard line is a flare fitting. It is in a hard location to get tight. If you remove the mounting bracket you can make sure it goes on well.

Also, since it is a flare fitting, just double checking that you didn't use thread sealant, pipe dope or thread tape.

If it has a side burner, under the burner is a quick connect. That might be a place to check.

Another ( less likely) area is the flare fitting(s) to the manifold. This is on a hard line, and if there is a side burner there is a second hard line for the side burner. Seems unlikely but you'll need to remove the wind screen under the control panel to see and check these fittings.

( tip) removing the doors makes it easier to get the wind screen out.

Good luck finding the leak, if it still exists.

Back