Latest Firmware Update Seems Solid

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I have previously said I probably should have gotten the EX4. I WAS WRONG!!! Today I needed the cooking capacity of the EX6. My apologies to those that told me so.

Mothers Day Ribs and first full family get together in over a year. Our daughter, husband, their 4 kids and wife, and our 3 Great Grandkids all showed up. They are one loud bunch and it was great to experience it again. We've seen them individually on a fairly regular basis but never the whole crew together. I did 5 racks of spare ribs and only needed 4. My Grandson with the family of 5 is happy to take a rack home. I dry brined the ribs for 12 hours, applied the rub (Meathead's Magic Memphis Dust) when I got up and put them on at 11 AM. As I was getting ready to wrap the ribs (3 hours) my 24 yr. old Grandson texted me asking if I needed help. 15 minutes later he was here and helped me wrap the ribs. We wrapped 2 racks in foil with sauce and Apple Juice. 3 racks were wrapped in butcher paper, first time with that, and those were the dry rub ribs. After 5 hours of cooking Josh helped me unload the grill and 30 minutes later everyone else showed up. Once I got the ribs off the Smokefire my work was done and Grandma didn't have to lift a finger. My SIL cut the ribs and the Grandkids took care of everything else. The wet ribs, wrapped in foil, were fall off the bone. The dry ribs, wrapped in butcher paper, were tender but still had a good bite. Everyone prefers Memphis Dust rub to anything else I have used and the ribs were darn good if I do say so. Sauce on the table. We made potato salad, coleslaw, and baked beans with our ribs. Not many leftovers. This was my first non smokeboost cook since the firmware update and the Smokefire worked as advertised, recovered quickly after opening the lid, and never hinted at a temp drop. However, my ambient probe was reading 30 degrees lower than set temp during the entire cook. Weber needs to fix that but, to me, it's almost a non issue. I can deal with it and my cook finished exactly when I expected it to.
Finally getting everyone here, and on Mother's Day, really had my wife smiling. Life is really good.

11Matt Herzig, Brad Homan and 9 others
3 Comments

That sounds like a great day Lew! Serious Pit Master skills getting everything timed right. And the quality time with the grandson that showed up to help.... priceless.

Great looks ribs! Glad to hear of family get together’s even though we‘re in lock down where I live. I miss the ”normal” days.

Ribs look fantastic!! Glad you were able to share with your family.

We are still in lockdown up in Canada. Not sure when we will be able to something like this next.....

Back