Late Thanksgiving Turkey!

M Strickland

TVWBB Member
We're celebrating Thanksgiving a little late. Now that the kids are grown and married and have more family to gather with, scheduling is a bit more difficult!

Anyway, I just put my turkey on my WSM. Am using the technique and recipe for an enhanced turkey (Butterball) from the TVWB. Have never cooked at the higher temp on my WSM. According to the recipe, it should take about 3 hours or so. (15 pounder) Using my homemade rub (no sugar) and stuck a couple of North Georgia apples inside for a touch of sweet!

Will be posting my progress.

Started at 9:50AM. Temp up to 290F @ 25 minutes in. Will start checking the turkey temp 2 hours into the cook.

Here's the start...

33blv2f.jpg
[/IMG]

Mike

Last edited:
OK. At one hour in to the cook, the smoker temp is up to 300F.

Outside temp is 45 F and clear skies today!

Here's a photo of my WeberStation. I designed this peninsula for my deck specifically for my Webers! Have an 18 inch WSM, a kettle, and a Genesis gas. Perfect!

Mike

k9ex74.jpg
[/IMG]

OK. At one hour in to the cook, the smoker temp is up to 300F.

Outside temp is 45 F and clear skies today!

Here's a photo of my WeberStation. I designed this peninsula for my deck specifically for my Webers! Have an 18 inch WSM, a kettle, and a Genesis gas. Perfect!

Mike

k9ex74.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice set up... I hope one day I can get a place with a deck...:)

Two hour 20 minutes into the cook.

Smoker temp at 305 F. Started measuring internal temp. In thigh is at 150F. 20 degrees to go!

Here's a photo. Looking good!

Mike

68bv6d.jpg
[/IMG]

Done! Took it off at 1:25 . 172 F temp in the thigh. Smoker still at about 300F. About 3 1/2 hours total cook time.

Will let you know how it tastes!

Here's what she looks like. She's pretty!

Mike

2uensqa.jpg
[/IMG]

Tony, this is the first deck I've had. Had to want until near retirement to get it, though! When I built this deck,the only Weber I had was the kettle. I used the grill dimensions from the Weber website to figure out the dimensions for the grill station. After we got the deck built I ordered my Genesis and my WSM from Lowes at the same time.

:wsm:

OK! Turkey was outstanding! Very moist and tender. Good flavor.

The only gripe I might have is that some of the skin was a bit bitter. Used three small pieces of Apple, so not too much smoke wood. I used some limbs that were pruned out of an orchard in N Georgia. I left the bark on. Not sure if it was the bark or what.

I'll definitely be using this technique again! I liked the flavor more then the low and slow!

Mike

Back