Large ad at top of pages

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I updated the Google AdSense code tonight and it's now displaying a big ad instead of the smaller one that was there before. I'm looking into how to fix it.

Chris

Seems that you've managed to update this, I'm just realized that I'm seeing the small banner again (can't tell you when it flipped back.)

Yeah, with no way to get rid of it😠
The small banner at least helps Chris pay the bills. The overlay banner.....I could be arrested for what I think should be done with whoever conceived that was a good idea and whoever actually implemented it. It's difficult to run a site without advertising (I know, I was server admin for a club with it's own vBulletin site,) and it's pricey.

When ads are clicked, I earn money that I use to pay for web hosting, forum software licenses, domain name registration, support services, etc.

I am not allowed to encourage people to click ads solely for the purpose of helping the forum earn money. Google figures out pretty quickly when people do this and I get dinged for it. People should only click ads that they are truly interested in and without any encouragement from me.

Seems that you've managed to update this, I'm just realized that I'm seeing the small banner again (can't tell you when it flipped back.)
Yes, around 4/25 I was able to revert to the ad code I was using before that showed a smaller ad format.

The only reason I updated the ad code in the first place is because Google is clawing back 30-40% of my monthly ad revenue for what they call "invalid traffic". Unless someone is incessantly clicking ads in the hopes of helping the forum (which I don't think is the case), it's likely caused by bots crawling forum pages and clicking ads in the process. It's a hard problem to pin down because you don't want to block all bots, as some are useful (and some don't honor your request to stop crawling the site), but too much "invalid traffic" and Google will suspend my ad account and I will lose the ability to monetize ads, which would be quite a blow.

Back