Lack of rehab pickups

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I had been expecting to find some rehab possibilities popping up by now in my area. BUtr they just are not showing up. I started seeing quite a few grills popping up on FB MP and CL around the beginning of March, but really no Weber Genesis 1000's or Silver B/C grills that were good rehab candidates. All the Webers were either too expensive or just plain junk. I was expecting things to continue to improve, but over the last week or so, there is just nothing showing up. Even the overpriced grills are rarely popping up any more. I have to assume it is this Carona Virus stuff. I am getting worried that I might not have much to work with when my rehab season finally gets under way in a few weeks. I like to try to push out 2-3 easy Silver B flips right away early when people are in the grill buying mood.

I really didn't think there would be that much affect on grill flipping. Are people in other areas seeing similar trends? What about selling grills you have already rehabbed?

Still have all my stash of Silver B listed on the BST forum but no takers.....
Same here not much for sale in classified, grilling is the last thing on people mind it seems

Last edited:
It is to early to tell here yet. Folks only started taking this seriously here about a week ago.
The warm spell we had a few weeks ago really lit up my sales and acquisitions. However, they
both cooled off, just as the weather did. My biggest concern right now is reading that Amazon
is shutting down non-essential deliveries for at least 3 weeks. Affordable parts are going to
be tough to come by.

I have three or for sets of grates and bars for my Silver series grills already on the shelf, I just need grills.

My daughter mentioned the Amazon shutdown thing, but I thought it was a rumor as a quick look on their web site didn't confirm anything like that. It does say they will be prioritizing "essential" items however and asks consumers to choose no rush shipping when possible. Nothing about totally shutting down any specific deliveries.

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/compan..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=PWTEKDBS7ABY3F3EBHZQ

Old cheap grills as rehab candidates have been rare in my area for months. Plus with the market going down and lots of jobs at stake people are holding on to their money. Spending on non essential items such as grills is is starting to take a back seat right now. And not to mention the recommendation for social distancing. Inviting friends and neighbors to a garden party is a No-Go for now.

Last edited:
I have kind of stopped rehabbing grills. But I am still scanning. Old habits are hard to break. LoL.
I only bought this old Genesis 3 a few weeks ago because of the parts. But otherwise not much out there. One cheap Gold B popped up yesterday. Sale already pending. The first candidate in weeks.

Other than that the old ones out there are way too expensive.
This guy dropped the price from $440 to $275:

The others range from $100 to $300:

Nothing you can make any money on. Used sidewinders or the later front control versions are in the $300 to $600 range. The last time I saw a sidewinder for less than $100 was probably a year ago.

Yah, the funny thing is, I am still seeing the $100 - $300 grills that should be going for $50 just like every year, but just nothing in the Free to $50 range which is where I grab 90% of my rehab candidates. When they have shown up, they are snapped up with in an hour.

It is to early to tell here yet. Folks only started taking this seriously here about a week ago.
The warm spell we had a few weeks ago really lit up my sales and acquisitions. However, they
both cooled off, just as the weather did. My biggest concern right now is reading that Amazon
is shutting down non-essential deliveries for at least 3 weeks. Affordable parts are going to
be tough to come by.
I work for a big brown shipping company and am hearing that was just a rumor. We are seeing a spike in volume with everyone staying at home. Seems less risky for 1 person to make 100+ deliveries to different locations rather than have 100 people come to 1 store.

Supply side for things imported from Asia is where I would be concerned.

I had been expecting to find some rehab possibilities popping up by now in my area. BUtr they just are not showing up. I started seeing quite a few grills popping up on FB MP and CL around the beginning of March, but really no Weber Genesis 1000's or Silver B/C grills that were good rehab candidates. All the Webers were either too expensive or just plain junk. I was expecting things to continue to improve, but over the last week or so, there is just nothing showing up. Even the overpriced grills are rarely popping up any more. I have to assume it is this Carona Virus stuff. I am getting worried that I might not have much to work with when my rehab season finally gets under way in a few weeks. I like to try to push out 2-3 easy Silver B flips right away early when people are in the grill buying mood.

I really didn't think there would be that much affect on grill flipping. Are people in other areas seeing similar trends? What about selling grills you have already rehabbed?

I haven't really been looking for the same kind of grills you are looking for, but I've noticed a lot more grills on FB than usual. The weather is nice here now and with people being at home, to me, it makes sense that if they thought about selling their grill then why not list it now while they are stuck at home?

I bought, cleaned, sold/flipped a performer last weekend in less than 24 hours. And I'll be finalizing a couple Qs this week to list and get rid of.

Not much here or down in Phoenix a few Qs for under $100 but not anything else. Still a boat load of the new cast off Lowell's Weber gassers on CL.
I've got two Weber's ready to list a skyline and green top silver B, just waiting for the weather to clear up supposed get snow tonight.

I haven't really been looking for the same kind of grills you are looking for, but I've noticed a lot more grills on FB than usual. The weather is nice here now and with people being at home, to me, it makes sense that if they thought about selling their grill then why not list it now while they are stuck at home?

I bought, cleaned, sold/flipped a performer last weekend in less than 24 hours. And I'll be finalizing a couple Qs this week to list and get rid of.
I have done Q's before but they are really hard to sell in my area. One was even a brand new Q-2200 with folding cart. It took me weeks to sell. I did not even get low ball offers.
I am also looking at charcoal grills. But not much out there worthwhile flipping. Several Performers but all are in the $300 range. I bought a pair of kettles from one seller a few days ago. Brand new never used 1996 22" kettle with brand new cover and a slightly used Jumbo Joe. I only got the pair because I wanted the almost new wooden handles on the 22". Sold the 22" again with some plastic handles I had lying around. But even that took me few days. The Jumbo Joe still needs to get cleaned. Portable grill don't sell very well here. I am happy if I get $30 for it.

Yah, I tend to stay away from Q grills for flipping. Just no real profit in them since they are relatively inexpensive when new. A Q3xxx is the only real Q flip grill IMO. Seems Dave in KC turns quite a few of them out however.
I dabbled in the kettle area for rehabs, but find that tough as well. But, I would jump on a Performer if I find one at a good price.

Yah, I tend to stay away from Q grills for flipping. Just no real profit in them since they are relatively inexpensive when new. A Q3xxx is the only real Q flip grill IMO. Seems Dave in KC turns quite a few of them out however.
I dabbled in the kettle area for rehabs, but find that tough as well. But, I would jump on a Performer if I find one at a good price.

Kettle grills haven't worked out that well for me, either. Once in a while, someone is just trying to dump them. But even with using $5 off at Ace to get charcoal grates and my supply of Target sell-off top grates there isn't a lot of margin to work with for your time and effort. I had thought that classic old kettles would fetch a big price, but unless extraordinarily rare, most of this value is notional. Most collectors will not pay retail for a nicely restored kettle. They want to make their own "barn find" and then brag about how much it is supposedly worth.

I haven't been actively shopping that much since I am buried in taxes and also trying to start planning for a move. I have seen a few cool grills but in general have also noticed prices rising. How many actually sell at these higher prices, I don't know.

In Indiana, you have to draw a wide circle around the area we expect to move to to find anything at all interesting on CL or OfferUp. I am still on "probation" with FB and can't use Marketplace yet on my new separate account. I opened my own because Faith was tired of being bombarded by grill ads and group notices. Hopefully, I will find more on that if and when we move - and when the FB algorithm decides I am not a scammer :rolleyes: . In the mean time I ignore all friend requests and just use it to be a member of a few grill groups (Weber, PK, etc.).

Jon, being in a more rural setting is great in general, but not so good for flipping grills. It is definitely a challenge that way. The majority of my rehab pickups are 50 miles away in the nearest larger population center. However I have had people travel more than two hours or three hours to buy my grills.

Yep, well actually where I live now in Florida while not mostly rural isn't usually a great place for old grills. I think that this is because most people in our area are transplants and not the type who would bring an old grill with them. On the other hand it IS a place to find things like that TEC grill I got for $100 or many high end stainless grills being dumped by their bored owners.

I have actually driven as far as 150 miles to get something special. Most of these are on the west coast of Florida or north of Orlando. So, I won't mind roving across Indiana/Kentucky/Illinois for the right thing. First I have to get moved and get rid of a bunch of projects I already have - hopefully more than one or two before we leave!

Well I guess in spite of my "no friends" strategy, FB decided I am OK now to use Marketplace. I hate the idea of turning down friend requests, but whenever I look at Faith's feed it just turns me off. I enjoy this "targeted" social media but don't want to get into all the drama that I see on regular FB. I just wanted to shop Marketplace without my wife being messaged about grills and be in a few groups without her being bombed with grill stuff!

Here's an ambitious:oops: ad along the lines of what we have been discussing here:

Yah, Jon, you will get invites and suggestions and all kinds of crap. Don't go down those rabbit holes and keep all your personal info as bland as possible. Just use it for FB MP and Buy Sell Groups and maybe a couple other special interest groups like the Weber ones.

Back