Kruger Tri-Tip Dinner

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
I made up Kevin's Bison/Beef rub to put on a Tri for tonights dinner. I used straight porcini shrooms, all I had. I just love how awsome dried porcini smells. Anywho got a cored onion in foil along with a Knorr beef cube, butter, some woosty sauce, and a big russet on the top grate. I'll put the Tri and bellas on the lower grate after the O and spud get about a 45 min head start. As always, cooking over Hump lump, with some red oak (beef), and no water pan. Lid temp 375º Here's a link to the pics.
Put the Tri and bellas on at 6:00PM and now have the lid hanging off by about a 1/4" for grill mode. Lid temp at 500º and climbing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well that was tasty. I really liked the the rub. Onion came out perfect and the Tri was very tender. I need a nap now.
icon_smile.gif

Looks great so far!!

I've got a tri in the freezer...might mimic this cook soon.

On Edit: You don't expect us to believe that little plate of food was all that you ate...c'mon now!!
icon_biggrin.gif

WOW does that look good! This is one of my favorite beef rubs...got to make up another batch....I added some chipolte to the last batch for some more heat...excellent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
I added some chipolte to the last batch for some more heat...excellent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I ground up a Hatch NM hot along with the Ancho for some heat. I also added a 1/2 tsp of woosty powder to the rub. It was most excellent.

Looks great, Bry. Tri is pretty much unavailable here, again, unfortunately. Maybe a Publix on the coast - but I almost never go to the coast. Didn't get to a TJ's, where I usually get them, before coming in this time. I've not made that rub in quite a while but came across a dried wild mushroom package while sorting through spices/chilies yesterday. Might need to make some today for one cut of beef or another...

I tried your O last night - it was really good. cut a small core, put in a beef cube, maybe a T of butter, a shot of worchestershire, & put it on the grill.

Man that all looks killer but I gotta tell ya, the bella and onion are really making me hungry and it's only 9:57am here. Nice cook Bryan.

John, Thanks for the link...there were also several recipes on that site that I plan to try.

1. OUTSTANDING!!! (And the food pics look great also)

2. $30.00/lb. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

3. What is "Woosty" powder?

I think Tri has become my favorite piece of beef. THey are juicey, tender when done right, and FULL of flavor. I do them on the kettle with very high heat, get a good sear, then finish to med-rare. The first few I did were just simple salt/pepper/garlic but now I usually use my Texas BBQ Rub original on them and they are awesome.

Congrats on the tasty tri, and looking at the pics, there has been a mushroom shortage in my life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What is "Woosty" powder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Worcestershire powder.

Back