KettlePizza 1st attempt

I guess its Rest In Pieces :(

Hope it didnt ruin your meal

That is the reason my 15 year old stone will never see my BBQ,, I will buy a cheap one for that.

When did the stone break? Did you start with the stone on a cold grill so they warm up together or did you put the stone on a hot grill? Did the break happen before or after adding the pizza?

The sparse instructions that came with Weber Crafted Glazed Pizza Stone say to place the stone in the grill before starting the grill. That stone goes up to 750 degrees, and you can put a frozen pizza on it. It is thicker than the thin pizza stones that we have. We used our new Weber stone once so far, to bake a frozen pizza. It did not crack. The pizza came out okay.

I once tried a thin baking stone on our older gas grill and it broke apart the same as yours. I heated the grill and stone up to the full 750 or so. That worked fine, until I added the fresh pizza to it. As soon as the pizza hit the stone, the stone cracked apart.

If I were buying a replacement stone for your grill, I would make sure it is made of thick cordierite. A thick stone means more time to warm up, but it should do better with thermal shock. Cordierite is the most common baking stone material. Companies choose cordierite because it has the property of not expanding or contracting much in different termperatures, so it is less likely to crack in use.

May have gotten it a smidge too hot…

That’s the stone.
You really need to supply more information. Here's my fuel set-up from last week, the KP does work within reason, but I feel that there are a lot more options available right now that surpass it's technology. Do not add any fuel directly underneath the stone, keep it to a "C" configuration against the back wall of the kettle & you need to feed it a lot of wood to maintain temps.

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpg
    IMG_4218.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4219.jpg
    IMG_4219.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 15
Put coals around the side of the kettle like a “c” and put a small chimney of hot coals on top. Once that took, I threw on some pieces of hickory I had. Then the Kettlepizza and stone. So the stone went from outside temp of 80° to a balmy 700° in less that 2 minutes. Definitely my fault. Will put less fuel next time and let it all warm up together.

And just as an aside, it was my wife’s Pampered Chef’s stone. So I’ve got THAT going for me, which is nice. 🤦‍♂️

The Pampered chef stone that I have is only good for 500 f and is not made of cordierite so is only to be used in an oven. Most of the thin ones are not designed for the high temps of the Kettle Pizza so make sure you get one rated for high temps.

I had a Pampered Chef pizza stone years ago. The first time I used it in the oven it shattered during heat up. I put it in with everything cold and started together. I guess that's why people use steel pizza plates now, no more shattering ceramic.

I had a Pampered Chef pizza stone years ago. The first time I used it in the oven it shattered during heat up. I put it in with everything cold and started together. I guess that's why people use steel pizza plates now, no more shattering ceramic.
Weird, I use my mom's old oven stone that she had when I was a kid, never an issue (and it gets a LOT of use!) I wonder what kind of formulation the thing is, no markings on it, so no way of even knowing who made it. I've even used it in my pellet grill with no issues.

@Joe Zoots, sorry you had a catastrophe with your stone! What a bummer! My KP stone is going strong about 4 years on, and if you were close to me, we would make a nice deal on it for you (since I'm not really using it anymore.) I think if you can find a corderite, or similar stone, you'll be fine!

Rich

These went well over 700F without cracking

Maybe the coal rack helps support it.

20220423_195225.jpg20220423_190623.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is just a WalMart brand one I got on sale for $14 but it is designed for the grill and high temps. I have had it for five years and still going. This is a pic when it was new and clean. 😆

CBD0FEEA-DD28-4111-89ED-87FC88638D91.jpeg

My Weber kettle pizza rig came with a stone and it is going strong. I mixed it up once with a different pizza stone we have in the house, and that stone snapped into pieces before a pizza even hit it. I learned that they are not all the same.

My Weber kettle pizza rig came with a stone and it is going strong. I mixed it up once with a different pizza stone we have in the house, and that stone snapped into pieces before a pizza even hit it. I learned that they are not all the same.
I have the same stone and no issues. I mostly use it inside to do pizzas. For the kettle I have had a BGE stone for about 10 years.

Back