Kettle Pork Loin

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
4-pound pork loin. Paste rub of fresh garlic, fresh sage, marjoram blossoms, thyme, rosemary plus Aleppo, salt, olive oil and bread crumbs. Butterflied the loin for quicker cooking.

Unlit Stubb's on both sides of the kettle with some lump that was leftover from the previous cook. 5 lit on each side. Lower vents 1/4 open. One packet of pecan pellets on each side. Loin in the middle.

Temps to 225 after a short while which I left alone for 20 minutes, then opened the lower vent. Temps climbed to 350, then to 400. Loin looked good. Removed it and rested 20 while I finished the sides.

421ec96a.jpg

7a2bc53a.jpg

Sliced pork loin, Bhutanese red rice cooked with ghee and salt, lacquered Brussels sprouts with pan-toasted almonds; roasted red pepper jam, black lava sea salt.

962d15c0.jpg

I cooked a loin last night myself.
The biggest difference between mine and yours is I made sure that mine was dry and over cooked. Still learning.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Bummer. What happened? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not sure to be honest. Gave it a quick sear and then moved to indirect and let grill temps fall to around 250(took maybe 10-15min). The <STRIKE>boss</STRIKE> wife started yelling about being starving about 15 min later so I cranked the heat back up to about 350 and pulled the loin off the grill when the internal temp hit 155. I think it was only about 45-50 min total cook time but I could be wrong. Went to tent but no foil
icon_mad.gif
. Rested just long enough for the <STRIKE>boss</STRIKE> wife to come running to the kitchen. A lot of juices ran out as I sliced it, while she stood there waiting. It didn't look overly cooked when I sliced it but by the time I had a fixed plate and was eating it was very gray and dry. I guess 5 less minutes cooking and 5 more minutes resting might have made it better.

Pull at 140 next time.

I don't. Other searing. I find I get a good surface without , by simply raising temps after ten to twenty minutes of cooking. If the surface isn't how you like it at an internal of 135, move to direct to sear. Remove at 140. No higher than 145. Rest 15 if butterflied, 20 if not.

Looks great Kevin!

Question for you about the Aleppo. We purchased some at Penzey's (after hearing you and maybe others on here speak highly of it) but haven't really figured out the best way to use it, or maybe not the proper dose. We've tried it on pizza, in couscous or bulgar, and in chicken salad with varying levels of success. Do you typical use it as an ingredient or a condiment, and how liberally do you apply it? Sorry for the threadjack, but thanks in advance for the info.

Wow, Kevin. The entire meal looks fantastic. The plated pic really shows off the pork. It looks very tasty. I would like to hear more about the lacquered sprouts. Thanks!

Mike

Great looking pork loin and plate, Kevin!

Thanks for the cooking tips also. Looks like a fantastic method of cooking a pork loin.

Jon-- I use Aleppo as an ingredient and a condiment. I too use it on pizza. Also on or in egg dishes, sprinkled on rice dishes at serving, and so forth.

As an ingredient I use it often in rubs. It is often the only chile in the mix and thus can be the main rub ingredient. It works well with ground coffee in rubs, alone or with other chilies, and is excellent in meatballs, meatloaf, sausage and compound butters.

Mike-- Lacquering vegetables is a simple process. One cooks - or almost cooks - the veg in question, in this case Brussels sprouts but it often used with carrots, pearl onions, parsnips, etc., usually in a little stock or a stock-wine mixture in just enough quantity to cook the veg while the liquid reduces, so that by the time the liquid has reduced to the syrupy stage the vegs is cooked to one's liking. The heat is then raised for the last few moments so that the reduction glazes the vegs and dries a little, losing some of its sticky consistency, coating the vegs well, and offering flavor and shine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Pull at 140 next time.

I don't. Other searing. I find I get a good surface without , by simply raising temps after ten to twenty minutes of cooking. If the surface isn't how you like it at an internal of 135, move to direct to sear. Remove at 140. No higher than 145. Rest 15 if butterflied, 20 if not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did another pork loin tonight and followed your direction and all i can say is ....WOW! The best loin I have ever made! Thank you Kevin for taking the time to share your wisdom with me.

Back