Kettle Grill Cart

Agree with Tim. How does the wood closest to the kettle generally hold up? Im always concerned it will burn and it seems to keep me from taking the plunge on building one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got about an inch clearance from kettle side to my table and in (I can’t believe it) 6+ years, I see no evidence of scorching anywhere.

Yeah, unless you’re really trying, you’re not going to get the outside of the bowl of your grill above maybe 450°F. I’d make a SWAG that you’d see at least 150° drop across a 1” air gap. That means the wood closest to the bowl might see 300°F when you have coals banked. Of course, I learned the hard way what happens to your enamel when you bank coals - that’s why I’m now a major advocate for baskets, the SNS, rails, etc.

If you want any easy project, it's hard to beat cutting a hole in a $100 cart and using brackets from Unknown BBQ or that other guy who makes them. Lots of options, especially at Harbor Freight. I think an industrial Rubbermaid type cart might make a great rustproof option if you protect it from the sun.

Royal Gourmet PC3401S Double Shelf Movable Dining Cart Work Table with Handle Outdoor Kitchen Prep Trolley Storage https://www.walmart.com/ip/936186852

Cuisinart CPT-200 Outdoor BBQ Prep Cart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KVG1SZ5/?tag=tvwb-20

I have the painted-top version of that cart. You might put an 18” Kettle in it, but not a 22”. View attachment 57590
Thanks. I've been staring at custom 26" Performer builds and forgot how low the 22" Performer bowl sits in the table. I happen to have one in pieces, so I just measured 23-5/16" center to center for the bowl mounting screws. Gonna need a bigger cart! Or, mount the bowl much higher. My Performer grate sits at 32". Summit Charcoal is much more comfy at 34" and I would be even happier at 36-38. I'm 6' tall, for reference.

Here's a YouTube playlist showing some custom builds. I just watched it for tips on building a 26" Performer.

Last edited:
Yeah, unless you’re really trying, you’re not going to get the outside of the bowl of your grill above maybe 450°F. I’d make a SWAG that you’d see at least 150° drop across a 1” air gap. That means the wood closest to the bowl might see 300°F when you have coals banked. Of course, I learned the hard way what happens to your enamel when you bank coals - that’s why I’m now a major advocate for baskets, the SNS, rails, etc.
Love the SNS!

Honestly, I really like the idea of the onlyfire SNS knockoff that puts the water reservoir on the outside. You can put the basket snug against the wall of the bowl, and it will always maintain an air gap. The big downside to that basket is that they didn't get enough ventilation in the bottom plate.

Honestly, I really like the idea of the onlyfire SNS knockoff that puts the water reservoir on the outside. You can put the basket snug against the wall of the bowl, and it will always maintain an air gap. The big downside to that basket is that they didn't get enough ventilation in the bottom plate.
That is cool. I’ve never seen that. SNS should steal the idea back!

Agree with Tim. How does the wood closest to the kettle generally hold up? Im always concerned it will burn and it seems to keep me from taking the plunge on building one.
The 1" gap to combustibles is pretty standard across the board and it's code approved.
You could dress it up and add a piece of aluminum flat stock to cover the cut edge.
I built a wooden table out of scrap T&G-2" x 6" non com D-fir that mounts on the handle of my 06 OTG and used FS on the edge

Your best deal will be a 24 x36 or 48 stainless food service cart from Amazon. The bottom shelf and legs are galvanized, just the top is thin chinese stainless but it'll be about 180 bucks. You'll spend more to make anything yourself even out of 2x4s. Some people on here have built some really nice carts that I'm envious of but I don't have the kind of time it takes to build nice ones, to dedicate to a barbecue cart. Too many other things higher on the list.

If you want any easy project, it's hard to beat cutting a hole in a $100 cart and using brackets from Unknown BBQ or that other guy who makes them. Lots of options, especially at Harbor Freight. I think an industrial Rubbermaid type cart might make a great rustproof option if you protect it from the sun.

Royal Gourmet PC3401S Double Shelf Movable Dining Cart Work Table with Handle Outdoor Kitchen Prep Trolley Storage https://www.walmart.com/ip/936186852

Cuisinart CPT-200 Outdoor BBQ Prep Cart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KVG1SZ5/?tag=tvwb-20

What???? that would melt day one.

Back