Kettle Brisket

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So, yesterday afternoon I finally got around to smoking a Select brisket I've had buried under other stuff for 2 months(!) in my fridge.

15 pounds. Trimmed a little of the fat knob between point and flat. Other than that, no trimming, as usual.

Made a paste rub of ground dark roast Sumatran coffee beans, a little Nutella, some hot NM chile, white pepper, thyme, sage, a little chicken base and a little olive oil. Salted the fat side of the brisket, flipped it, spread on the paste, then topped with dried herbs - thyme, sage, marjoram, oregano, bay, rosemary:

IMG_0075.jpg

Prepped the old kettle, left here by the previous owners, with Stubbs on two sides, the foil drip 'pan' from my last cook, and a couple pieces of foil tucked in to deflect the heat away from the brisket's sides:

IMG_0077.jpg

Partially lit 10 Stubbs and a couple pieces of lump from an old bag. Split that among the two piles and stuck a pack each of cherry pellets on each. Immediately loaded on the brisket, fat side down of course. Initial temp was 150? after 10 minutes; climbed to ~320 over the first 1.25 hours and pretty much stayed there.

I made a sauce, meanwhile, of an onion sautéed in evoo and ghee, with thyme sage and white pepper, till just caramelized. To that I added maybe a 1/4 cup of TJ's ketchup, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup stron brewed coffee, a T of guajillo flakes and about 1.5 T of pineapple preserves. I simmered till the preserves were melted in well then handblended till smooth. I adjusted the salt and added a T of orange blossom water and a little splash of malt vinegar. I reserved the sauce off heat till service.

I foiled the brisket 2.25 hours into the cook and added a little unlit lump to the piles. I checked it after an hour-and-a-half and it needed more time. I did not check it again - my guests arrived - but simply removed it after another 45 minutes.

IMG_0080.jpg

Tender and quite tasty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a little Nutella </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like that notion. Looks great as always!

Thanks. It was. I realized a few moments ago that I neglected to include one item in the sauce posted above: coffee. (I've since corrected it.) The sauce worked quite well. The guajillo added chile flavor and some heat. The pineapple preserves lightly sweetened the sauce and rounded out the coffee flavors. The orange blossom water added a hint of orange and a subtle what-is-that-? background floral note that was great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a little Nutella

I like that notion. Looks great as always! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked that out too
icon_biggrin.gif

Nice one Kevin. A five hour brisket cook was it? Impressive. Looks and sounds very good to me. Best to you!

Thanks, Gary.

Yes, 5 hours - an hour more than usual but the kettle ran lower than I usually target. That was fine.

Sounds and looks great, want to try this. Even if I don't do it in the kettle
icon_smile.gif

Curious the ratios in the rub but mostly how much coffee you started with.

Also look like this was a large flat, sans the point?

I have a large cook coming up late May and thinking of doing a brisket, butt and ribs. Depending on total attendance. Probably make the butt and brisket ahead of time a day or so.

Man that looks incredible. It's been quite some time since I've BBQ'd brisket - in fact only twice in 4 years. While they both turned out amazing and perfect, (followed a HH recipe by KK posted in the forums) I've always found beef for some reason or another, intimidating. Mostly out of fear my guests will experience beef jerky rather than beef brisket. However, I think I have my inspiration for next Saturday's dinner.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Curious the ratios in the rub but mostly how much coffee you started with. Also look like this was a large flat, sans the point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope. That's the camera angle. The point looks flat - and looks like the right side of the flat - at the angle I shot. It wasn't. It was a packer, ~15 pounds.

Probably ~ 1/3 c ground-to-a-powder coffee, 1.5 T or so Nutella, a T of NM hot chile, several turns of the white peppermill and ~ 1.5 t each of the thyme, sage and base. Olive oil probably 1-2 T. After the paste was applied, the dried herbs I sprinkled on individually - maybe, 1/4-1/2 t total each. And I lightly sprinkled on salt. (There was salt in the chicken base of course. I had salted the fat side earlier, while I made the paste. That side I do not bother seasoning further as I trim off the fat after slicing, if serving to the fat averse, as I did this time.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mostly out of fear my guests will experience beef jerky rather than beef brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A common fear. Really, though, one that can be pretty much dispensed with by going the high heat route. Get a Choice brisket rather than a Select if you can and you add further assurance.

Thanks for the additional detail for the rub/paste. Was wondering if it was photo angle AFA it looking like a big flat.

Curious of your mention of Choice vs Select. Is that because there's more connective tissue in a typical Choice brisket?

Back