Kettle as an oven?

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
Any tips for using a kettle as an oven?

Our oven is down for a week waiting for a part. I've roasted turkeys and chickens on a kettle, but never things like casseroles or vegetables. I use charcoal baskets on either side and it seems to work for birds. I can usually hold a temp in the 300-400 range fairly easily.

Any tips or warnings?

Jeff

Yes Jeff, I do it all the time, same set up as you mentioned. I added an adapter to one of my 22" kettles so that I can use my CyberQ for cooks that are a little more temperature specific.

Should work just fine, Jeff. I'd be a bit cautious of what types of vessels you use, since some will not react well if they get too much direct heat. I like to use a lot of cast iron on the grill since it's pretty impervious. My preference is to bank coals on one side, and then just know I need to do some rotating of the dish(es) to ensure even "baking". Mostly I've done side dishes, the occasional dessert and some bread, but with some cleverness, there's a ton you can do on the kettle to replace your oven (even if only for a week or so.)

Let us know what you get up to!

R

I agree that banking coals on one side is the way to go doing casseroles, vegetables, etc.. I’ve done various things indirect, cast iron or other metal pans seem to be safest (I’m reluctant to use a glass dish).
But it works just great, especially if you have a 26 inch kettle, or.......grin...... a ranch kettle!
Or I use two kettles, depending on how many dishes; done meatloaf on one, sweet potatoes & veggies on another.
good luck!

Pyrex is not generally a good choice (don’t ask me, it was a buddy) but, I use my kettle as an oven a lot more often than one might think. Works great! Next week I might try a soufflé in it, maybe not.

Should work just fine, Jeff. I'd be a bit cautious of what types of vessels you use, since some will not react well if they get too much direct heat. I like to use a lot of cast iron on the grill since it's pretty impervious. My preference is to bank coals on one side, and then just know I need to do some rotating of the dish(es) to ensure even "baking". Mostly I've done side dishes, the occasional dessert and some bread, but with some cleverness, there's a ton you can do on the kettle to replace your oven (even if only for a week or so.)

Let us know what you get up to!

R
Thanks, Rich. I think banking the coals is good advice. The baskets are convenient, but spreading the coals out on the banks seems like the heat inside the kettle would be more even.
Jeff

Whether you choose to bank the coals or go direct, you can’t hurt a cast iron skillet. If you don’t have one, get one & start experimenting! After all it just veggies!

Jeff, it appears to me that you're about to miss out on the opportunity than many dream of but few experience:

Steak Week.;)

Last edited:
Well, you are all correct -- The kettle is a great oven. We have been Blue Apron subscribers for several years. It's a great service if you're a foodie and want to learn new techniques and ingredients. The oven is needed for most recipes. This one was "Sheet Pan Pork with Chipotle Glaze". The whole thing cooked on a sheet pan. I was reluctant to do it in the kettle, but I trust you guys. Results were great -- easily as good as if it was done in the oven. I may cancel that parts order.

Jeff

Here's the prep - Sweeet potatoes, onions, Brussel Sprouts and a 2-person pork loin roast
Sheet pan pork prep by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Just before I took it out of the kettle
Sheet pan pork on grill by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

On the plate
Sheet pan pork on plate by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

I’ve used to use my 26” kettle a bunch as an oven to keep the house from getting too hot in the summer. I found the sweet spot for the 26” kettle was to off set coals on one side using fire bricks and then setting what ever I was cooking in covered pan on the charcoal grate beside beside the fire bricks. This also allowed for a second dish or other foods like veggies or taters on the cooking grate.

Barb and I use are NG E320 all summer long as an oven to keep the heat out of the house, works great. I've also used my performer with great results from making sauces, chili, roast, almost anything you can do in an oven you can do on a covered grill. I've banked and used the trays both work well. CI is the way to go but I also have dedicated pans and other cooking vessels that are just used on the grills, keeps Barb from barking at me.:)

Back