Keeping the Rub on the Ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Since I'd heard that some people spray their ribs with apple juice and maybe some garlic as they're cooking I've done the same. That has rasied a question for me: Since the ribs are sprayed, or even as they're basting in the rib racks, what's to keep the rub from running off? Mustard and marinading maybe?

At the end, with the finishing sauce applied, do I lightly sprinkle some rub on the ribs? Or, if I've applied the rub right, let it marinade overnight, is the rub going to stay on the ribs?

I want to keep as much of my rub flavor as I can. Hey, it's a rookie question but you all seem to be a pretty merciful bunch.

Thanks.

Kyle
It's called the halves, say your doing spares and it's going to be about a 6 hour cook. At the 3 hour mark you mop or spray the ribs, by this time the rub is pretty well set and you are not going to wash it off. At the 4 1/2 hour mark you mop or spray again, the same at the 5 1/2 hour mark, glaze.
Many do use mustard or the marinade and rub aprox 2 hours before the cook starts.
Jim

Hi Kyle!

I have never had a problem with rub sticking to the meat, but I do spritz some olive oil on prior to rubbing down. This not only helps it adhere, but it also mositurizes for the first couple of hours of cooking....don't mop or you will wash it all off.

I foil and just before wrapping, I apply another sprinkling of my rub.

One of the reasons I don't like to use rib racks is just what you mentioned........the rub and juices dripping off the slab. I don't think it is that big of a deal, but I will never use them in competition.

As for adding more rub at the end...if you are serving your ribs dry, then by all means add more rub. Not sure how your rub will come thru your finishing sauce.

I stick with a "theme" for my ribs. For the last couple of years it was apple. This past year it was cherry. The thought is that everything from the rub to the mop to the finishing glaze is based on the cherry flavor. Now, this is just for competing and I do not fool with it when serving a large number of guests. For those occasions, a basic rub and most times a bottled sauce.

Being a rookie, you have the opportunity to experiment! If I were you...every time I cooked ribs, I would cut the slabs in half and apply various rubs and sauces and see where I get the optimal flavoring. Of course you better keep detailed records also...you will eat so many experiments that they will blur together after a while(years of experience talking here! LOL).

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back