Keeping pulled pork warm for a birthday party

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
A good friend's daughter is turning 1, and I have been asked to smoke 4 butts for the birthday party. My only concern is keeping the pulled pork warm and moist after it has been pulled and ready to be served. In my minds eye, I would like to pull it as needed, so as to reduce the time from its foil wrap to sitting over a stern I heat tray. The party is from 15:00-17:00 (3:00-5:00), I'll be smoking 4 butts and I hope to have them off the smoker between 12::00-14:00. They had mentioned using a sterno type heat tray to keep it warm. Any suggestions, or advice on how to keep the pork both warm and moist is greatly appreciated....
Thanks,
Tim

I’d try to pull the butts one at a time, staggering them a little when you unwrap and get out of the cooler holding box.
You might end up with one left whole? I’ve had pretty decent luck with not doing anything special, just try to keep a cover or foil in place as much as possible. Have people eat fast!

After foiling you may have some accumulated juice which can be added to the chicken broth for some additional “porkiness”

My go to with multiple butts is to wrap in foil then wrap with towels and toss in a insulated cooler until ready to serve, pulling pork as needed into a warmed crock pot.

Back