Keepin' Yer Butt Warm

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
My Boston butt will be done early. I planned for 14-16 hours and it'll be done in 12. That means done at noon, with guests at 6:00p. I have used the faux Cambro/cooler and towels method for up to 4 hours with good success, but don't know if I can stretch it to 6. I'll wrap in foil when it's done and won't do the pulling and chopping until we're ready to eat.

I'm thinking faux Cambro for 3; temp check; oven at 175 (as low as it goes) for a while, then back in the Cambro. Any suggestions as to time in the oven, or an internal temp target?

Seeking the benefit of brotherly experience.

Jeff

Jeff-

I've kept them well out of the "danger zone" (140 and below) for longer than six hours, so you may be good with just your Cambro/towel method. However, if you are dropping (and you should check periodically) too much below your target temp for service, you are pretty spot on that a 175 oven will work. You may need to mix some reserved juices in while pulling, but you should be able to tell about that by the feel of the pork as you pull it.

I think you will be good with your plan......if you even end up needing the oven.

Good luck!

Rich

Last edited:
I've kept them well out of the "danger zone" (140 and below) for longer than six hours, so you may be good with just your Cambro/towel method. Rich

After 3-ish hours in the faux Cambro, IT was 155. The WSM was still at around 190, so I tossed the wrapped butt back on for about 30 minutes, then back in the cooler. I pulled it after about 6-1/2 hours total, and it was still almost too hot to pull comfortably with latex gloves. It had reabsorbed almost all the liquid in the foil and was very juicy -- not just watery-juicy, but soaked-in-rendered-fat juicy. Almost everyone came back for seconds and several came back for thirds.

FYI, this was an 8-1/2lb house brand "Natural Pork" Boston butt from the local HEB supermarket. I didn't have to trim more than about 3 ounces off it to make it perfect for smoking. Rub was a variant of the "Wild Willy's" from "Smoke and Spice." Basically, equal amounts of paprika and pepper. I go light on the salt, since I use the rub for ribs as well. I dusted a couple of teaspoons of salt onto the butt before applying the rest of the rub. Great result. Thanks for the advice.

Back