KAHLUA

LDThornton

TVWBB Fan
KAHLUA

This is quick and easy and tastes better than store-bought brand.
After it is cool and mixed it is ready to drink the same day.
Makes great White Russians!!

1 lb. Yuban Coffee
1-1/2 Quarts Water
Boil the above in an open pan for 10-25 minutes on low
boil. Drain through a clean cloth and let cool.
7-1/2 Cups of Sugar
2-1/2 Quarts of Water
Bring the above to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Let cool. Combine both liquids and add:
1 Fifth Everclear
2 oz. Pure Vanilla
Mix and store in dark bottles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek L.:
I'm guessing that would be ground coffee and not just the beans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct...........

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1 lb. Yuban Coffee
1-1/2 Quarts Water
Boil the above in an open pan for 10-25 minutes on low
boil. Drain through a clean cloth and let cool.
7-1/2 Cups of Sugar
2-1/2 Quarts of Water
Bring the above to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Let cool. Combine both liquids and add:
1 Fifth Everclear
2 oz. Pure Vanilla
Mix and store in dark bottles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Making this Sunday. Does the coffee brand matter that much? I'll probably use Eight O'Clock instead, no Yuban sold here. I've tried several recipes, those that are the closest are ones that use instant coffee. The problem has been there has been that instant "twang" flavor.

This looks like a great recipe!

My family has been making a version of this for years. It goes very fast. Everybody loves it on ice with milk.

Your right... It is much better than the original.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
Making this Sunday. Does the coffee brand matter that much? I'll probably use Eight O'Clock instead, no Yuban sold here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you tried Here

Staples=Coffee, kinda funny. Actually will be headed to the big city of Sioux City this weekend, will try to find some Yuban there, Staples or otherwise. If not, will use Eight O'Clock or a custom blend possibly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:
Did you make it and if you did what did you think of it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and don't know. My dad is the big Kahlua drinker, left him with the first batch, haven't heard back.

But am working on a second batch tonight, should be able to give some feed back tonight or tomorrow.

BTW, where in KS are you, native myself, parents still live there.

Quick question though, did a 25 minutes boil with the coffee (rather have too much coffee flavor than not enough) and both times ended up with 1.25-1.5 cups of coffee, would this be close to what you get?

Tried it last night and today, better today than last night. Good stuff, like the lack of the "instant" twang. Mouth feel was solid. Will probably make a couple of tweaks on the next batch, up the alcohol (came in at 14%-15% ABV, want to bump it to 20%-22%) and bump up the coffee flavor a little more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:
Did you make it and if you did what did you think of it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and don't know. My dad is the big Kahlua drinker, left him with the first batch, haven't heard back.

But am working on a second batch tonight, should be able to give some feed back tonight or tomorrow.

BTW, where in KS are you, native myself, parents still live there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in El Dorado, Kansas.....if you want to call it living.

I live in El Dorado, Kansas.....if you want to call it living. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Born and raised in McPherson myself, played basketball against El Dorado many years in the old Ark Valley. After 2 years in Manhattan and 6 years in Flagstaff, moved back until 3 years ago, moving to NW Iowa. After this winter, I would move back to Mac in a heartbeat.

Back