just interesting

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
a lot of smoking i've done. I've noticed kingsford original seems to makes a bigger smoke ring then lump (royal oak ussually). I find this strange and makes no sense to me, but then again I cant fight it cause it happens time and time again. I don't know what else to say except I know its not important but they look kind of nice. what your experience or have you even noticed? is it opposite for you? the same?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan H.:
a lot of smoking i've done. I've noticed kingsford original seems to makes a bigger smoke ring then lump (royal oak ussually). I find this strange and makes no sense to me, but then again I cant fight it cause it happens time and time again. I don't know what else to say except I know its not important but they look kind of nice. what your experience or have you even noticed? is it opposite for you? the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kingsford Briquettes contain 'sodium nitrate' which helps produce the smoke ring.

i just don't get excited about smoke rings. and no, i never use kingsford. as larry says, smoke rings are not smoke but a chemical reaction.

That is something I am going to watch closely this year. We tend to use whatever coals we can get our hands on and our S-Rings are always different. The recipes are basically the same, and we have suspected that the coals made the difference. Smoke rings are a thing of beauty.

I am one of those that likes lump but doesnt mind Kingsford. Lump is getting a bit easier to find around my area but K is one that is everywhere, so I use it a lot with great results. With that said I dont use the Minion Method either. In my smoker I like the coals to be at least close to "ashed over".

I obviously admit that seeing the smoke ring to me is a thing of beauty, BUT I have smoked many briskets with unbelievable S-Rings that were terrible in taste. jgfc.

jgfc = "Just good for chili"
i just made that up.
icon_smile.gif

Larry's got it right. You can get the same reaction by appying nitrates and putting the meat in an oven. Smoke rings look really cool,but it's the taste that I'm looking for!

Back