Jerky a la Bob

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My youngest has been bugging me to make jerky for months, and I finally got around to it. Got some eye of round from CostCo, sliced it with the grain, then put it to sleep overnight in a bag of the marinade from Bob's 2014 Post. Early this morning, I got the WSM going with a 2+1 snake, and a couple of small pieces of cherry wood. I got the temp stable at about 170F, and put the jerky on. With my CyberQ, I held the temp steady at 180F for about 4.5 hours, at which point I determined that the jerky was done....well dried, but still a bit pliable. Got it off the grill, and am having trouble keeping the teenage hordes from devouring it all! :)

Thanks for a great recipe, Bob! Simple, and super tasty. I made this one with your original, but will add some heat next time. :)

Jerky on the grate, extra on my cooling racks:

IMG_6528.jpeg

Done and plated:

IMG_6531.jpg

Very nice! There are so many items on my list that I don't know if I'm being lazy, losing some stamina in my old age, or just too busy with work.

Fletch, you’re just too busy with work buddy. It will settle down you will make a trip up here to Stryker and we will get together for some sausages and beverages, the cold frosty kind!
Rich, that really looks great! Eye or round comes up pretty reasonably from time to time (or it used to) we shall see.
One more for the “Timmy Do” list! Let’s see, bacon a la Jim Lampe, home made brats, a bunch of Case T’s temptations, the list keeps growing!

Last edited:
Fletch, you’re just too busy with work buddy. It will settle down you will make a trip up here to Stryker and we will get together for some sausages and beverages, the cold frosty kind!

That sounds awesome but my territory has changed (at least for now) and I'm not commuting to MI.

I've been threating to make some jerky for years. Now that I've seen yours Rich it's going to the top of the must do list. I still have Bob's recipe and sitting on my butt at home with my self imposed house arrest where the highlight of the day is emptying the dish washer. Just have to go freezer surfing and see what I can find for jerky fodder.

I've been threating to make some jerky for years. Now that I've seen yours Rich it's going to the top of the must do list. I still have Bob's recipe and sitting on my butt at home with my self imposed house arrest where the highlight of the day is emptying the dish washer. Just have to go freezer surfing and see what I can find for jerky fodder.
I think this was the first batch I have made in 3-4 years, Rich, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it more frequently. A couple of pounds is a manageable batch size, and the process is really pretty simple. Go see what kinda lean meat you got in the freezer, my friend! :)

R

Rich, that really looks great! Eye or round comes up pretty reasonably from time to time (or it used to) we shall see.
One more for the “Timmy Do” list! Let’s see, bacon a la Jim Lampe, home made brats, a bunch of Case T’s temptations, the list keeps growing!
:cry: Am I on your list?

Rich, we made this recipe a few years ago. Of course I asked DH to leave out the hot stuff and it was very good. Thought the kids might enjoy it .

Smoky Cola Jerky

Rich you are making me want to drive by my brothers house and say hello!! If I detour and end up on your front porch I apologize.

Rich you are making me want to drive by my brothers house and say hello!! If I detour and end up on your front porch I apologize.
Just make sure you stand a ways back from the door.....the missus is pretty protective of her brood! ;)

R

Bumping this up. DH is getting in the mood to make some more jerky. For those in the neighborhood, Winn-Dixie is having a great meat sale this week.

Last edited:
Rich, we made this recipe a few years ago. Of course I asked DH to leave out the hot stuff and it was very good. Thought the kids might enjoy it .

Smoky Cola Jerky
Last time DH used Dr. Pepper and it was very good. This time he used Cherry Cola and it was not as good.

Back